WASHINGTON, D.C. – The York College volleyball squad split their two matches during Friday's opening round of the Peg Worthington Classic hosted by Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C.
The Spartans began the day by falling to Christopher Newport University 3-1 in what was the opening of Capital Athletic Conference play for both teams. York rebounded with a 3-1 win over Catholic in the nightcap, four hours later.
Match #17 vs. Christopher Newport
Score: York 1, CNU 3 (25-23, 25-16, 22-25, 25-20)
Records: York 8-9 (0-1 CAC), CNU 10-6 (1-0 CAC)
Kills: York 39, CNU 50
Errors: York 22, CNU 24
Attacks: York 133, CNU 155
Attack %: York .128, CNU .168
Assists: York 36, CNU 46
Service Aces: York 5, CNU 14
Service Errors: York 5, CNU 10
Digs: York 65, CNU 61
Total Blocks: York 13.0, CNU 8.0
How It Happened:
• The first set was as close as it could have been. The largest lead was three points. There were 14 ties and nine lead changes. The Spartans held a three-point lead on three different occasions, the final time coming at 13-10. The set continued to go back and forth as the teams were tied at 22. A Captain service ace followed by a CNU kill gave them a 24-22 lead, their largest lead of the set. York got a Madyson Whitcomb kill to draw to within one but the Captains earned the ensuing point to capture the first set.
• The second set was back and forth over the opening 18 points as there were six ties in the set. The Captains pulled away with a 10-3 run to push out to a 19-12 lead. The Captains pushed lead to nine three more times including the final 25-16 spread as CNU took the 2-0 lead.
• The Captains rode their set two momentum into the opening points of the third set. CNU sprinted out to a 6-1 lead as they looked poised to blow York out and close the match out in three. The Spartans responded with a 7-2 run to tie the set at eight. Whitcomb had a pair of kills on the run for York. The set would be tied five more times with the final tie coming at 20-20. Tyler Williams banged home a kill to give York a lead they would not relinquish. Claire Shorb followed with a service ace to put York up 22-20. After a CNU kill, Whitcomb banged home another kill for the 23-21 lead. The Spartans scored two of the final three points to earn the set.
• York got off to a great start in the fourth set, sprinting out to a 10-4 lead. The Captains answered with an 8-2 run, tying the set at 12. CNU won the next point on a service ace and never trailed again. The Captains push the lead to four at 18-14. York drew to within two on two more occasions but the Captains finished off the five-point set win.
Madyson Whitcomb: 13 kills, .417 attack %, 1 assist, 4 digs, 4 block assists
Claire Shorb: 8 kills, 3 service aces, 6 digs, 2 solo blocks
Abby Diehl: 31 assists, 2 kills, 6 digs, 3 block asissts
Emily Pupo: 18 digs, 4 assists, 2 service aces
Katie Crofford: 14 kills, .364 attack %, 1 assist, 1 service ace, 15 digs, 1 solo block, 1 block assist
Katie Piper: 13 kills, 4 service aces, 9 digs, 1 block assist
Sammy Carroll: 45 assists, 1 kill, 2 service aces, 8 digs, 3 block assists
Rebecca Frey: 12 digs, 2 service aces
Match #18 vs. Catholic University
Score: York 3, CUA 1 (25-17, 26-24, 23-25, 25-21)
Records: York 9-9, CUA 11-7
Kills: York 59, CUA 34
Errors: York 38, CUA 22
Attacks: York 174, CUA 158
Attack %: York .121, CUA .076
Assists: York 56, CUA 28
Service Aces: York 8, CUA 6
Service Errors: York 8, CUA 7
Digs: York 94, CUA 65
Total Blocks: York 11.0, CUA 13.0
How It Happened
• Set number one was back and forth early before the Spartans pulled out to a 13-7 lead after an 8-3 run. York pushed the lead to 10 at 18-8 and cruised to the 25-17 win from there.
• The Cardinals got off to a good start in the second set as they surged to an early 10-6 lead. The Spartans answered with a 7-1 run to take a 13-11 lead. The Cardinals battled back to force a 19-19 tie. York scored the next three points but the Cardinals answered with a four-point run of their own to take a 23-22 lead. York tied the set on a Tyler Williams kill and Megan Wolf followed with a kill to put York up 24-23. After a Cardinal kill, Williams registered another kill and a Cardinal attack error gave York the 26-24 set two win.
• The third set was another close one. The set was tied five times in the first 22 points. The Cardinals push ahead 17-13 before York drew to within one at 17-16. York eventually tied the set at 19 but CUA answered with three straight points and they would hold the Spartans off the rest of the way for the 25-23 set win.
• York got off to a quick start in set four as they raced out to a 5-1 lead. York's lead grew to 11-5 on a Williams kill. The Green and White lead grew to 19-10 on a Hannah Siaurusaitis kill. Catholic trimmed the lead to four at 23-19 but the Spartans scored two of the final four points to secure the match win.
Madyson Whitcomb: 12 kills, 1 service ace, 1 dig, 1 solo block, 4 block assists
Claire Shorb: 11 kills, 1 assist, 4 digs, 2 block assists
Sydney Wilber: 10 kills, .444 attack %, 1 dig, 7 block assists
Tyler Williams: 10 kills, 2 assists, 4 digs
Abby Diehl: 39 assists, 4 kills, 3 service aces, 14 digs, 2 block assists
Emily Pupo: 19 digs, 6 assists, 1 service ace
Lydia Stump: 18 digs, 3 assists, 1 service ace
Patricia Martinez: 10 kills, 12 digs, 2 block assists
Josephine Morrill: 10 kills, 1 assist, 3 service aces, 16 digs, 3 block assists
Maria Gonzalez: 23 assists, 3 kills, 7 digs, 3 block assists
Caroline Kelly: 18 digs, 1 assist, 1 service ace
The Spartans are now 0-9 all-time against CNU … York is now 30-13 against Catholic all time as they avenged a loss against the Cardinals earlier this year at McDaniel.
The Spartans return to action on noon on Saturday as they face Bethany in their third tournament contest. York will then play in a fourth round game against an opponent that is to be determined by the games on Saturday morning. That match will begin at 2:00 pm.