DALLAS, PA – The York College volleyball team split their two Saturday matches during day two of the Misericordia Cougar Clash in Dallas, PA. York began the day with a 3-0 win over the host Cougars followed by a 3-0 loss to Oswego State. The Spartans finished the weekend 2-2. Senior Madyson Whitcomb had an outstanding weekend as she earned All-Tournament team honors for the Green and White.
Score: York 3, Misericordia 0 (25-20, 25-15, 25-17)
Records: York 6-7, Misericordia 12-6
Kills: York 35, MU 20
Errors: York 14, MU 20
Attacks: York 88, MU 92
Attack %: York .239, MU .000
Assists: York 32, MU 19
Service Aces: York 3, MU 3
Service Errors: York 11, MU 13
Digs: York 39, MU 33
Total Blocks: York 5.0, MU 3.0
How It Happened:
• The first set was back and forth from the beginning. The largest lead for either team was three points over the opening 30 points. Those opening 30 points featured nine ties and five lead changes before the Spartans took the lead for good at 16-15 on a Madyson Whitcomb kill. The Spartans maintained the lead over second half of the set to take the 25-20 set one win.
• York got off to a good start in the second set as they led 11-5 16 points into the game. York grew the lead to eight at 14-6. The host Cougars wouldn't get closer than four points the rest of the way as York took the 2-0 lead.
• The third set was another tight game as there were 10 ties and seven lead changes. The final tie came at 12-12. The Spartans scored six of the next seven points of the set to seize control of the game. Tyler Williams had a pair of kills on the spurt for York. Misericordia cut the Spartan lead to four twice in the final stages of the set but York hung on for the seven-point victory.
Tyler Williams: 11 kills, .269 attack %, 2 assists, 7 digs, 4 block assists
Madyson Whitcomb: 7 kills, .462 attack %, 2 digs, 1 solo block, 1 block assist
Abby Diehl: 27 assists, 1 kill, 1 service ace, 4 digs
Emily Pupo: 14 digs
Lydia Stump: 5 kills, 2 assists, 7 digs, 1 service ace
Faith Merritt: 7 kills, 6 digs, 1 service ace
Fiona Pyfer: 5 kills, 2 assists, 4 digs
Karley May: 14 assists, 1 kill, 1 service ace, 6 digs
Score: York 0, Oswego 3 (25-18, 25-16, 25-20)
Records: York 6-8, Oswego 10-5
Kills: York 30, Oswego 37
Errors: York 24, Oswego 11
Attacks: York 110, Oswego 105
Attack %: York .055, Oswego .248
Assists: York 25, Oswego 34
Service Aces: York 5, Oswego 5
Service Errors: York 2, Oswego 5
Digs: York 42, Oswego 48
Total Blocks: York 1.0, Oswego 3.0
How It Happened
• The Spartans got off to a good start in the first set as they scored five of the first six points of the match. The Lakers answered with an 11-3 run to take a 12-8 lead. Oswego eventually pushed the lead to seven (18-11) and cruised from there to take the 1-0 lead.
• Set two was tied at six early but the Lakers went on a 9-3 run to take the 17-9 lead. York got to within five on a Madyson Whitcomb kill but the Lakers maintained their comfortable lead as they finished the set with a nine-point win.
• The third set was highly competitive early as they set was tied at 14. The Lakers scored the next four points for the 18-14 lead. York drew to within two (19-17) on a Sydney Wilber kill but the Lakers ended the game with a 6-3 run to end the game and the match.
Madyson Whitcomb: 12 kills, .357 attack %, 1 assist, 1 dig, 1 block assist
Sydney Wilber: 5 kills, 1 dig
Abby Diehl: 14 assists, 2 kills, 4 digs
Emily Pupo: 12 digs, 1 kill, 1 assist, 1 service ace
Lydia Stump: 4 kills, 1 assist, 3 service aces, 8 digs
Sarah Massie: 10 kills, 1 block assist
Melissa Lussier: 10 kills, .381 attack %, 1 assist, 3 digs, 1 solo block, 1 block assist
Julia Flohr: 23 assists, 2 kills, 14 digs
Shauna O'Flaherty: 13 digs, 7 kills
Erica Bechard: 11 digs, 1 assist, 1 service ace
The Spartans are now 8-0 all-time against Misericordia and 1-3 all-time against Oswego … York tied a season-high with 11 service errors in the win over Misericordia … York hit .239 in the win over Misericordia, that's the third time this year they have hit over .200 in a match … York hit just .055 in the Oswego match and that's the fourth time this year they have hit under .100 in a match … the Spartans had a season-low two service errors in the match against Oswego … senior Madyson Whitcomb hit .465 (31-4-58) for the weekend as she is now hitting .364 for the season.
The Spartans have a busy week upcoming as they will play in six matches over the next seven days. York travels to Penn State Berks on Tuesday night to face the Lions in a 7:00 pm match. York then hosts Penn State Altoona on Wednesday night at 7:00 pm. York then heads to Washington, DC to play four matches next weekend at the Peg Worthington Classic hosted by Gallaudet University.