YORK, PA – The York College women's volleyball squad concluded the regular season with a sweep of their two Saturday matches at the Eastern University Tournament in St. David's, PA. The Spartans went the distance with Arcadia in their first match and then concluded the regular season with a 3-1 win over McDaniel in the nightcap.
Score: York (Pa.) def. Arcadia 3-2 (14-25, 25-19, 25-21, 21-25, 15-10)
Records: York (Pa.) 18-8, Arcadia 21-11
Kills: York 59, Arcadia 51
Errors: York 21, Arcadia 19
Total Attacks: York 156, Arcadia 159
Attack %: York .244, Arcadia .201
Assists: York 51, Arcadia 41
Service Aces: York 8, Arcadia 11
Service Errors: York 14, Arcadia 11
Digs: York 61, Arcadia 54
Solo Blocks: York 0, Arcadia 1
Block Assists: York 10, Arcadia 8
How It Happened
• The Knights jumped on the Spartans after the two squads were tied at seven in the first set. Arcadia went on an 8-3 run, taking a 15-10 lead. The Knights then ripped off an 8-3 run to gain full control of the set as they ended the first set with a 25-14 win.
• The Knights surged to an early lead in set two only to have York come back and tie the set at 11. York slowly started to pull away as they took a 22-17 lead. The Green and White proceeded to score three of the final five points of the set, tying the match at one.
• The third set was tight from the start. York had a 17-10 lead but the Knights came charging back, cutting their deficit to 22-18. York closed out the set with an Eryn Brady kill to give the Green and White a 2-1 lead.
• York raced out to an early lead in the fourth set only to have Arcadia come back and tie the set at 19. The set was tied again at 20 and at 21 before the Knights captured the final three points on kills from Maddie Sehrt, Shannon Ryan and Lizzie Joseph as the teams headed to a decisive fifth set.
• The fifth set was tight early as York held just a 6-5 lead through 13 points. The Spartans scored six of the next nine points to push out to a 12-8 lead. The Knights cut the lead to 13-10 but York got an Arcadia ball-handling error and a Brooke Krebs kill to close out the match.
Madyson Whitcomb: 14 kills, .700 attack % (14-0-20), 3 block assists
Brooke Krebs: 11 kills, 1 assist, 10 digs
Hannah Siaurusaitis: 10 kills, .375 attack % (10-1-24), 4 block assists
Gabby Emeigh: 23 assists, 1 service ace, 9 digs
Alexis Harbold: 28 digs, 4 assists, 1 service ace
Eryn Brady: 9 kills, .233 attack %, 1 block assist
Lauren Enfield: 16 kills, .304 attack %, 13 digs, 1 solo block, 1 block assist
Maddie Sehrt: 11 kills, 1 block assist
Lizzie Joseph: 11 kills, 1 dig
Julia Paliwodzinski: 25 assists, 2 service aces, 8 digs, 3 block assists
Emily Eng: 18 digs, 3 assists, 3 service aces
Score: York (Pa.) def. McDaniel 3-1 (25-19, 25-18, 15-25, 25-17)
Records: York (Pa.) 19-8, McDaniel 18-7
Kills: York 50, McDaniel 42
Errors: York 14, McDaniel 25
Total Attacks: York 128, McDaniel 154
Attack %: York .281, McDaniel .110
Assists: York 44, McDaniel 37
Service Aces: York 3, McDaniel 6
Service Errors: York 15, McDaniel 8
Digs: York 64, McDaniel 54
Solo Blocks: York 2, McDaniel 1
Block Assists: York 17, McDaniel 6
How It Happened
• The first set was close early as the set was tied at 10 through 20 points. York then ripped off a 9-3 run that gave York a 19-13 lead. The Green Terror cut the Spartan lead to 21-17 but York scored four of the final six points to take the first set 25-19.
• York had another strong start in set two as they raced out to a 16-8 lead. York led 21-13 and the Knights went on a 5-2 run to cut York's lead to 23-18. Madyson Whitcomb registered a kill and Gabby Emeigh got a service ace to give York the 25-18 game two win.
• McDaniel gashed the Spartans with a 13-2 start to the third set. York never really recovered as they dropped a 25-15 set three, forcing a fourth set.
• The fourth set was close early on as York held a 12-10 lead through 22 points. The Spartans went on a 7-2 run to take a 19-12 lead. The Knights cut the Spartan lead to four but the Green and White finished off the set and the match with a 25-17 victory.
Brooke Krebs: 14 kills, .194 attack %, 13 digs
Eryn Brady: 10 kills, .385 attack %, 4 block assists
Madyson Whitcomb: 7 kills, .538 attack %, (7-0-13), 2 digs, 1 solo block, 6 block assists
Gabby Emeigh: 23 assists, 2 kills, 1 service ace, 11 digs
Alexis Harbold: 21 digs, 3 assists
Alexandra Daley: 17 assists, 7 digs
Green Terror Leaders
Anna Jezerski: 9 kills, .156 attack %, 1 dig
Gayle Edelstein: 16 assists, 2 service aces, 3 digs, 2 kills
Emma Lorenzen: 7 kills, 3 digs, 2 block assists
Lauren Wells: 7 kills, .333 attack %, 12 assists, 2 digs, 2 block assists
The Spartans' match against Arcadia is the first meeting between the two programs … the Spartans are now 19-32 against McDaniel all-time as the two squads split their two matches this year … the Spartans have won seven of their last eight contests with their lone loss coming Friday night against Eastern … York is now 7-0 in neutral court games this year … York is now 4-1 in five game matches and 5-2 in four set matches … the 19 wins for York matches their win total from last year in Dan Mickle's first year as the Spartan head coach.
The Spartans open the Capital Athletic Conference tournament at home on Tuesday evening as they will host Frostburg State University at 7:00 pm. The Bobcats won the regular season meeting in Frostburg in mid-October.