YORK, PA – The York College women's volleyball squad celebrated senior day in fine fashion with a pair of wins at their Saturday tri-match at Wolf Gymnasium. The Spartans blanked Southern Virginia 3-0 in a key Capital Athletic Conference contest. The Green and White followed that performance with a 3-0 win over Hood in the nightcap. York has now won four in a row.
Score: York (Pa.) def. Southern Virginia 3-0 (25-21, 25-15, 25-16)
Records: York (Pa.) 15-7 (3-3 CAC), SVU 13-8 (4-2 CAC)
Kills: York 31, SVU 22
Errors: York 14, SVU 18
Total Attacks: York 106, SVU 102
Assists: York 30, SVU 20
Service Aces: York 4, SVU 1
Serice Errors: York 8, SVU 7
Digs: York 50, SVU 58
Solo Blocks: York 2, SVU 3
Block Assists: York 8, SVU 0
How It Happened
• The Spartans jumped all over the Knights in the opening points of the first set. York scored six of the first seven points of the game to take the early advantage. The Knights would battle back and tie the set at 10-10. There were two more ties before the Spartans took the lead for good at 13-12. York held a 17-16 lead and then went on a 5-0 spurt to take a 22-16 lead. York closed out the first set, winning 25-21.
• The Knights got off to a fast start in the second set but York quickly rebounded to recapture the lead. York pushed out to a 12-6 lead and eventually stretched the lead to eight at 18-10. York's lead would grow to 10 as they cruised to the 25-15 set two win.
• The third set was back and forth early on before York went on a 5-1 run to take an 11-6 lead. The Knights trimmed the lead to three at 12-9 but that would be as close they would get the rest of the way. The Spartans did a fantastic job of closing out the match as the Knights would make small runs only to have the Spartans answer the challenge as they picked up the key conference win with the 25-16 third set victory.
Brooke Krebs: 11 kills, .310 attack % (11-2-29), 10 digs, 1 service ace, 1 block assist
Hannah Siaurusaitis: 6 kills, .222 attack %, 1 block assists, 1 dig
Gabby Emeigh: 18 assists, 2 service aces, 3 digs
Alexis Harbold: 19 digs, 1 kill, 1 assist
Hailey Lohnes: 10 kills, 5 digs, 1 service ace
Kaely Rath: 7 kills, .286 attack %, 6 digs
LaRee Crockett: 18 assists, 4 digs
Kykynli Knight: 27 digs, 1 assist
Score: York (Pa.) def. Hood 3-0 (25-8, 25-17, 25-14)
Records: York (Pa.) 16-7, Hood 13-13
Kills: York 25, Hood 19
Errors: York 6, Hood 22
Total Attacks: York 67, Hood 77
Assists: York 19, Hood 19
Service Aces: York 5, Hood 3
Serice Errors: York 7, Hood 5
Digs: York 36, Hood 36
Solo Blocks: York 7, Hood 1
Block Assists: York 8, Hood 2
How It Happened
• The opening points of the match were played in a darkened Charles Wolf Gymnasium as the York College campus suffered a power outage. The set was tied at four when the lights came back on and it was all York after that as they went on a 21-4 run to win the set 25-8.
• The second and third sets were close early in each instance only to have York rip off big runs in securing the second set win 25-17 and closing out the match with a 25-14 victory.
Brooke Krebs: 8 kills, .467 attack % (8-1-15), 5 digs, 2 solo blocks, 1 service ace
Eryn Brady: 6 kills, .278 attack %, 1 solo block
Jordyn Cotone: 6 kills, 8 digs, 1 block assist
Gabby Emeigh: 14 assists, 9 digs
Heather Secrist: 10 digs, 4 assists
Elena Zinaich: 9 kills, 2 service aces, 4 digs, 1 solo block, 1 block assist
Payton Belella: 18 assists, 8 digs
Renee Reus: 8 digs, 1 assist
The Spartans are now 3-3 all-time against the Knights while they are 22-0 all-time against the Hood Blazers … Wolf Gymnasium suffered a 10 minute power outage at the start of the Hood match … after finding a portable scoreboard the teams began the game and played the first eight points without the benefits of the usual gymnasium lighting … the Spartans have won four straight … the Spartans have now had three four-game win streaks for the year … the Spartans are now a game out of third place while they have a half a game lead on Salisbury for fourth place … fourth place is the final home seed in the opening round of the CAC Tournament … York now has 10 three-set victories … the Spartans are now 17-6 in the third set.
The Spartans close out their regular season home schedule on Wednesday night in a huge Capital Athletic Conference contest as they host Salisbury University. The Spartans and Sea Gulls get started at 7:00 pm.