BROOKLYN, N.Y. – The York College Spartan volleyball team opened their 2018 campaign with a split at the New York University tri-match on Friday afternoon in New York. The Spartans beat Eastern Nazarene 3-0 in the opener while the Violets of NYU downed the Spartans 3-1 in the nightcap.
Records: York 1-0, Eastern Nazarene 0-2
York def. Eastern Nazarene 3-0 (25-18, 25-16, 25-20)
Kills: York 43, ENC 20
Errors: York 11, ENC 14
Attack Percentage: York .381, ENC .086
Assists: York 42, ENC 19
Service Aces: York 11, ENC 5
Digs: York 34, ENC 28
Blocks: YCP 4.0, ENC 1.0
Eryn Brady: 10 kills, .500 attack % (10-1-18)
Tyler Williams: 10 kills, .368 attack % (10-3-19), 2 digs, 3 block assists
Alexis Harbold: 13 digs, 3 assists, 1 service ace
Gabby Emeigh: 23 assists, 1 service ace, 3 digs
Madyson Whitcomb: 4 kills, .500 attack % (4-0-8), 2 block assists
Hannah Siaurusaitis: 6 kills, .500 attack % (6-0-12), 1 dig
Cheyenne Altland: 6 kills, .556 attack % (6-1-9), 2 aces, 2 block assists
How It Happened:
• The first set was tied at 10 when the Spartans ripped off a 9-2 run to forge a 19-12 lead. The Spartan lead would not fall below five the rest of the set.
• In the second set, the Spartans jumped out to a 15-8 lead to seize control of the set. Eastern Nazarene trimmed the York lead to 16-12 but York scored six of the next eight points to take a 22-14 lead. The Spartans closed out the set for the 25-16 set two win.
• The third set was back and forth with neither squad being able to gain any significant advantage. The set was tied at 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 before the Spartans ended the match with a five-point spurt to earn the 25-20 victory.
Records: York 1-1, NYU 2-0
NYU def. York 3-1 (25-23, 25-22, 23-25, 25-16)
Kills: York 46, NYU 43
Errors: York 29, NYU 21
Attack Percentage: York .119, NYU .149
Assists: York 43, NYU 39
Service Aces: York 9, NYU 12
Digs: York 69, NYU 61
Blocks: YCP 1.0, NYU 8.0
Brooke Krebs: 12 kills, .222 attack % (12-6-27), 2 aces, 6 digs
Hannah Siaurusaitis: 8 kills, .381 attack % (8-0-21)
Alexis Harbold: 29 digs, 1 ace, 3 assists
Gabby Emeigh: 22 assists, 1 kill, 10 digs
Molly McCann: 14 assists, 4 service aces, 5 digs
How It Happened:
• The first set was tightly contested as it featured seven ties early on. With the set tied at 10, NYU went on a 6-0 run to take a 16-10 lead. York worked their way back into the set, tying the Violets at 23-all. NYU got a Maddie DeJong kill and a Spartan attack error to win set one.
• The second set was another close one but this time the Spartans had the upper hand. York took an early 10-5 lead but NYU eventually tied the set at 14. There were five more ties with the last one coming at 22-22. The Violets won the final three points of the set to take the 2-0 match lead.
• The third set followed the script of the first two sets with the two teams playing back and forth volleyball. The set was tied at 21 but York captured four of the last six points to earn a 25-23 win to keep the match alive.
• The fourth set was drastically different from the first three as NYU raced out to a huge 12-1 lead. York got to within six but that would be as close as they got, dropping the fourth set 25-16.
York opens their 2018 home schedule with a Tuesday night match against McDaniel. The match is slated for a 7:00 pm start at Charles Wolf Gymnasium.