WESTMINSTER, MD. – The York College volleyball team dropped their first match of the season after starting 4-0, falling to McDaniel 3-1 on the road at the Gill Center in non-conference action on Wednesday night. The Spartans dropped the first two sets of the match, after winning 12 of the first 15 sets to start the season, and were unable to rebound from the deficit. York battled in the third set, eventually taking it 29-27, but could not force the Green Terror into a fifth set.
McDaniel def. York 25-20, 25-17, 27-29, and 25-17
Records: York (4-1), McDaniel (4-1)
How It Happened
• McDaniel started well in the opening set, and York was unable to win two points in a row until the Spartans already trailed 13-7. Then, McDaniel won seven of eight points to extend their lead to 21-11. The Spartans battled back by winning three points in a row, off of kills from three different players, Gabby Emeigh, Molly McCann and Cheyenne Altland. Facing set point, the Spartans rattled off five consecutive points to close within 24-20, but it proved to be too little too late.
• The Spartans opened to a 3-2 lead in the second set, but then McDaniel rattled off 13 of the next 17 points to break ahead 15-7. Both teams played relatively equal the rest of the second set, with McDaniel taking it 25-17.
• The third set was a nail biter throughout, but after York jumped out to a 10-5 lead. McDaniel worked to level the score at 14, and the score tightened until the Green Terror lead 21-18, looking to finish the Spartans in three sets. However, York battled back to 23-23 after a kill from Altland and Sarah Figgs. With the score locked at 26, Brooke Krebs recorded a kill to put York one point away from the set. When McDaniel fought off their fourth set point against them, Krebs earned another kill. With an attack error made by McDaniel, York captured the fourth set 29-27.
• After staving off elimination in the fourth set, McDaniel earned commanding leads of 11-6, 16-9 and 21-11 before finally taking the set 25-17.
• Cheyenne Altland: 9 kills, .300 attack %, 2 assists, 2 digs, 1 block assist
• Madyson Whitcomb: 8 kills, .444 attack %, 5 block assists
• Gabby Emeigh: 18 assists, 16 digs, 3 kills, .429 attack %
• Alexis Harbold: 25 digs
• Brooke Krebs: 8 kills, 8 digs, 1 assist
• Molly McCann: 15 assists, 8 digs, 1 kill
The Spartans first loss of the season ends their best start since 2013 … the 2013 team finished 16-16 after starting 5-0 … Cheyenne Altland established a career-high nine kills and 20 attacks … Gabby Emeigh recorded a career-high 16 digs … Hannah Siaurusaitis finished the match with eight kills on 33 attacks, both career-highs … York has now lost the last five meetings with McDaniel.
This weekend, the Green and White will head to their second tournament of the season, the Franklin & Marshall Scramble Quad, where they will take on Penn St.-Altoona on Friday night and Lebanon Valley and Franklin & Marshall on Saturday.