SALISBURY, MD – The York College women's soccer team is headed to their seventh Capital Athletic Conference championship game as the Spartans stunned top-seeded Salisbury 2-1 in tournament semifinals on Wednesday. The Spartans entered the tournament as the four seed and earned their way to the title contest thanks to the dramatic upset. Senior Ryan Hussey scored in the 79th minute to lead the Green and White to the win.
Final Score: York 2, Salisbury 1
Records: York 9-12, Salisbury 13-3-3
Shots: York 4, Salisbury 14
Shots on Goal: York 4, Salisbury 6
Corner Kicks: York 3, Salisbury 8
Saves: York 5, Salisbury 2
Fouls: York 6, Salisbury 7
How It Happened:
• The top seeded Sea Gulls pressured the Spartans early and often. They broke through and opened the scoring in the eighth minute as Juliana Looney fed Brooke Rossiter with a pass that Rossiter finished for her eighth goal of the year to give the Gulls the early lead.
• Salisbury continued to carry the play for the remainder of the first half as they outshot the Spartans 7-1 while they also held a 4-2 edge in corner kicks.
• York made some halftime adjustments and came out of the break strong. The Green and White got the equalizer in the 50th minute as the Spartans got a corner kick. The ball got pinged around the box until it found the foot of senior Georgia Gillcrist. Gillcrist collected the ball and settled it. She then unleashed a rocket that eluded Emma Hill, Salisbury's outstanding goalie, for her fourth goal of the year.
• The Spartans survived a scare in the 70th minute as goalie Cat McCarty was forced to stop a ball played back at her that nearly became an own goal for the Spartans. Salisbury got three more shots over the next eight minutes as the Sea Gulls were pushing hard for the go-ahead goal.
• The Spartans countered back in the 79th minute as freshman Moriah Morton served a ball forward to the box as Ryan Hussey was streaking toward the goal. Hussey and Hill got tangled up going for the ball with Hill going down and Hussey maintaining her footing. The senior then calmly drilled home the shot into an empty net to put the Green and White on top with just over 11 minutes left in regulation.
• The Sea Gulls wouldn't be able to muster an equalizer as the Spartan defense was outstanding, allowing York to pull off the huge upset.
Georgia Gillcrist: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Ryan Hussey: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Anna Morton: 2 shots on goal
Sea Gull Leaders:
Brooke Rossiter: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Juliana Looney: 1 assist
Autumn Dougherty: 5 shots, 1 shot on goal
Ally Goetz: 4 shots, 2 shots on goal
Cat McCarty (YCP): 90:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 5 saves (Win, 5-6)
Emma Hill (SAL): 78:58 minutes played, 2 goals against, 2 saves (Loss, 0-1)
Regan Benton (SAL): 11:02 minutes played, 0 goals against, 0 saves
York is now 11-18-3 all-time against Salisbury as the two teams conclude their play as conference opponents as the Spartans head for the MAC next fall … the win snaps Salisbury's three-game winning streak in the series and snaps their 14 match unbeaten streak coming into the semifinal match … York is now 2-3-2 all-time against Salisbury in the CAC tournament but the two teams had not played in the tournament since 2010 … York will make their seventh CAC championship game appearance on Saturday (2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 20013, 2015) as they have three CAC titles (2007, 2013, 2015) … York is now 20-16-7 all-time in the CAC tournament … York is now 5-6-4 all-time in CAC semifinal matches … the Sea Gulls had registered a league-high 12 shutouts heading into the tournament … Salisbury had allowed just eight goals all season as they came into the game with five straight shutouts … York is just the third team to score two goals against Salisbury in the season matching Arcadia (Sept. 8) and CNU (Oct. 12) … CNU was the last team to score on Salisbury before the Spartans on Wednesday … Salisbury's last loss came on September 8 against Arcadia … the Sea Gulls started the season 2-2 and then ripped off a streak of 11 wins and three ties … senior Georgia Gillcrist broke into double figures with her fourth goal of the year … Gillcrist is now just the second Spartan to reach double figures with 11 points on four goals and three assists … Gillcrist now has 11 career goals in 69 games for the Spartans … senior Ryan Hussey made her first goal of the season a memorable one as it won the game for the Green and White … Hussey now has six career goals and the game-winner was the first of her Spartan career … junior goalie Cat McCarty has won five of her last six starts including two in a row in the CAC tournament … McCarty has allowed just four goals in her last six starts while she has made 20 saves during those six games
The Spartans head to the third-seeded Mary Washington Eagles on Saturday for the CAC Championship game on Saturday. Game time will be determined Thursday. The Eagles upset #2 seed Christopher Newport 1-0 in the other semifinal in Newport News, VA on Wednesday.