YORK, PA – The York College women's soccer team posted a 3-0 shutout over St. Mary's in the Capital Athletic Conference Tournament Quarterfinals on Saturday in York. The Spartans advance to face top-seeded Salisbury University on Wednesday in the CAC Semifinals.
Final Score: York 3, St. Mary's 0
Records: York 8-12, SMC 3-15-1
Shots: York 15, SMC 5
Shots on Goal: York 10, SMC 3
Corner Kicks: York 3, SMC 1
Saves: York 3, SMC 7
Fouls: York 11, SMC 6
How It Happened:
• The Spartans got a great opportunity 57 seconds into the game as St. Mary's Julia Faranetta was called for a foul in the box to give the Spartans a penalty kick. Ally Badman took the kick but St. Mary's Gabby Manning made a diving save to keep the Spartans off the board.
• The Spartans were the beneificary of a poor clear in the 27th minute. The Seahawks failed to clear and freshman Joanna Gorrell collected the loose ball and tapped it in for her first collegiate tally.
• The Green and White had a few other first half opportunities but Manning kept the Spartans off the board as York took the 1-0 lead to the intermission.
• Senior Natalie McCarthy added to the lead in the 47th minute thanks to a great individual effort. McCarthy drove toward the endline and then unleashed a shot between Manning and the near post to put York up 2-0.
• McCarthy made her final home game at Graham Field a memorable one as she put the game away with her second goal in the 72nd minute. Fellow senior Ryan Hussey hit a long ball over the top that eluded at St. Mary's defender. McCarthy collected the ball and banged home her team-leading eighth goal of the year.
Natalie McCarthy: 2 goals, 4 shots on goal
Joanna Gorrell: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Ryan Hussey: 1 assist, 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
Ally Badman: 1 shot on goal
Cameron Mangold: 2 shots on goal
Ashley Yurich: 1 shot on goal
Cat McCarty (YCP): 85:06 minutes played, 0 goals against, 2 saves (Win, 4-6)
Jacqueline Keogh (YCP): 4:54 minutes played, 0 goals against, 1 save
Gabby Manning (SMC): 90:00 minutes played, 3 goals against, 7 saves (Loss, 0-1)
York is now 12-16-3 all-time against St. Mary's … the Spartans won all three matches against the Seahawks via shutout … the match was the final match between the two teams as Capital Athletic Conference opponents as York heads to the MAC next fall … York improves to 19-16-7 all-time in the CAC Tournament … York is now 2-4-1 against St. Mary's in the CAC Tournament … the win snapped a two-game losing streak … York concluded their home campaign with a record of 5-6 … senior Natalie McCarthy notched her 15th and 16th career goals as she now has 40 points in her 69 career games for the Green and White … McCarthy now has a team-leading 20 points on eight goals and four assists in 2019 … freshman Joanna Gorrell's first career goal was also a game-winner … freshman goalie Jacqueline Keogh made her career debut in the final five minutes of the game for York and made her first career save.
The Spartans head to top seeded Salisbury for the CAC Semifinals on Wednesday, November 6. Game time in Salisbury, Maryland is set for 2:30 pm.