NEWPORT NEWS, VA – The York College women's soccer team opened Capital Athletic Conference play with a 5-1 loss to #3 Christopher Newport University on Saturday in Newport News, Virginia.
CAC play will be different in 2019 as the teams will play each other in a home-and-home series.
Final Score: York 1, #3 CNU 5
Records: York 3-6 (0-1 CAC), CNU 8-0-2 (1-0 CAC)
Shots: York 3, CNU 28
Shots on Goal: York 3, CNU 12
Corner Kicks: York 3, CNU 6
Saves: York 7, CNU 1
Fouls: York 6, CNU 4
How It Happened:
• The Captains opened the scoring in the 21st minute as the reigning Division III Player of the Week Riley Cook found the back of the net on a one touch shot off a Emily Talotta pass for the 1-0 lead.
• York answered back in a little over two minutes as Rori Englert stole the ball from a Captain defender and scored after going in one-on-one against Captain keeper Haley Eiser. Engler finished with a low shot inside the left post, tying the game in the 24th minute.
• As quick as the Spartans tied the game, Cook scored again in the 26th minute to give the Captains a lead they would not relinquish. Cook hit a header off a Maxine Borris pass for her second goal of the game.
• The Captains outshot the Spartans 14-2 in the first half as they took the 2-1 lead to the break.
• Cook kept her big day going nine minutes into the second half as she scored off another Talotta pass. This time Cook hit a rocket from the top corner of the box for the 3-1 Captain lead.
• Cook finished off her scoring with her fourth goal of the game as she chipped the Spartan keeper Cat McCarty for the 4-1 CNU lead with 29:29 left in the game.
• Haley Shaw closed out the scoring with her first goal of the year in the 74th minute off a pass from Abby Harrigan.
• CNU outshot the Spartans 14-1 in the second half and 28-3 for the game.
Rori Englert: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal
Georgia Gillcrist: 1 shot
Riley Cook: 4 goals, 9 shots, 6 shots on goal
Hailey Shaw: 1 goal, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Emily Talotta: 2 assists, 1 shot on goal
Carson Pokorny: 1 assist, 2 shots
Abby Harrigan: 1 assist, 1 shot
Maxine Borris: 1 assist, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Cat McCarty (YCP): 90:00 minutes played, 5 goals against, 7 saves (Loss, 0-5)
Haley Eiser (CNU): 90:00 minuts played, 1 goal against, 1 save (Win, 8-0-2)
The Spartans are now 0-7-1 all-time against the Captains as York has lost six straight in the series … the five goals are the most surrendered by the Spartans this season … the seven saves from goalie Cat McCarty was her second highest total of the year (9 vs. DeSales) … York has been outscored 14-1 in their last four games against the Captains ... CNU's Riley Cook became the Captains' all-time leading scorer with 53 goals in just 51 games.
The Spartans return to action on Wednesday night when they host St. Mary's College in a Capital Athletic Conference contest. Game time is set for 7:00 pm at Graham Field.