YORK, PA - The Gettysburg College women's soccer team remained unbeaten as they downed the York College Spartans 4-1 in a non-conference match up on a beautiful Wednesday afternoon in York. The Bullets improve to 5-0 while the Spartans fall to 1-5.
Final Score: York 1, Gettysburg 4
Records: York 1-5, Gettysburg 5-0
Shots: York 7, Gettysburg 14
Shots on Goal: York 5, Gettysburg 9
Corner Kicks: York 3, Gettysburg 4
Saves: York 5, Gettysburg 4
Fouls: York 5, Gettysburg 15
How It Happened:
• The Bullets carried the majority of the possession early in the contest. They were able to build early attacks only to have the Spartan back line thwart some early chances. Gettysburg finally was able to break through as Emma Bedell carried the ball down the left sideline before beating a Spartan defender as she turned along the end line. As another Spartan defender converged on her, she slipped a deft pass to Grace Slevin who chipped the pass into the net for the opening goal 4:22 into the game. The goal was Slevin's second of the season.
• The Bullets added to the lead in the 29th minute off a nifty corner play. Brooke Priddy took the corner but instead of firing it towards the box shot it up towards the top of the box. Kelly Gaudian collected the ball beyond the top of the box and hit a 25-yard rocket into the upper right 90 for the 2-0 lead.
• York got on the board seven minutes before the half as senior Georgia Gillcrist carried the ball into the Bullets defensive third. She beat a Bullet defender and turned the corner into the box. She pushed a pass into the middle of the box. Rachel Wilhelm collected the pass and one-timed a shot for her first goal of the year.
• The Bullets outshot the Spartans 6-3 in the first half while the Green and White held a 3-2 edge in corner kicks.
• Gettysburg opened the second half scoring in the 62nd minute. The Spartans had a bad clear as Erika Muskus intercepted the pass. She put a near perfect pass into the middle of the box as Bedell ran onto the ball and finished the chance inside the right post.
• The Bullets closed out the scoring in the 75th minute as Charlotte Cenatiempo carried the ball along the endline. She centered a pass to Molly O'Shea who one-timed a shot from inside the box for the 4-1 advantage.
Rachel Wilhelm: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal
Georgia Gillcrist: 1 assist
Natalie McCarthy: 3 shots on goal
Emma Bedell: 1 goal, 1 assist, 4 shots, 2 shots on goal
Grace Slevin: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Kelly Gaudin: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Molly O'Shea: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal
Brooke Priddy: 1 assist
Erika Muskus: 1 assist, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Charlotte Cenatiempo: 1 assist, 1 shot on goal
Cat McCarty (YCP): 90:00 minutes played, 4 goals against, 5 saves (Loss, 0-4)
Maddie Cunningham (GC): 90:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 4 saves (Win, 5-0)
The Spartans have now lost nine straight against the Bullets as Gettysburg leads the all-time series 9-3-2 … the four goals matches a season-high allowed as they also surrendered four in the season-opening loss to Catholic … York has lost two straight … the Spartans are now 0-3 at home but those three teams are a combined 11-3-3 (Catholic 3-2-2, F&M 3-1-1, Gettysburg 5-0) … York fired off just seven shots in the game and that's the third time this season they have been held to single digits in shots … Junior Rachel Wilhelm recorded her first goal of the year and her third of her Spartan career … the assist for senior Georgia Gillcrist was her first of the year and ninth of her career.
The Spartans return home on Saturday, September 21 as they host Marywood University in a non-conference contest. Kick-off is scheduled for 12:30 pm at Graham Field.