YORK, PA – The York College women's soccer team fell to 0-2 after a closely contested affair against Franklin & Marshall College on a toasty Wednesday night in York. The Spartans went down 1-0 early in the first half before F&M added a second from the penalty spot. York halved the deficit in the 66th minute but ultimately came up just short.
Final Score: York 1, F&M 2
Records: York 0-2, F&M 2-0
Shots: York 15, F&M 10
Shots on Goal: York 8, F&M 6
Corner Kicks: York 5, F&M 4
Saves: York 4, F&M 7
Fouls: York 12, F&M 9
How It Happened:
• The early stages of the game featured back-and-forth play by both teams. York's goalkeeper Cat McCarty was called into action early after making a save in the fourth minute.
• The first shot of the game for York came by way of senior Natalie McCarthy from well outside of the box which was saved by Franklin & Marshall's Sara Ghorashi.
• Franklin & Marshall struck first in the 15th minute as Emily Cleary finessed an unassist curling shot from outside the box which beat McCarty low and to her left for her first goal of the season.
• York came close to an equalizer as Erin Baier snuck a shot behind Ghorashi before being cleared by Riley Hourihan to keep the score 1-0 in favor of the Diplomats. The Spartans outshot the Diplomats 7-3 in the first half but still trailed at the break.
• Franklin & Marshall were awarded a penalty early in the second half following a foul off of a corner kick. Nicolette Runko scored her first goal of the season after slotting home the penalty with a perfectly placed shot to double the Diplomats lead in the 54th minute.
• York nearly cut the Franklin & Marshall Lead early in the second half as senior Georgia Gilchrist was in on goal. Ghorashi came well off her line to make a sliding save to deny the Spartans yet again and keep a 2-0 lead in the 60th minute.
• The Green and White got on the scoreboard in the 65th minute courtesy of a perfectly placed left-footed shot by freshman Anna Morton after rounding the keeper off an assist by McCarthy and cutting the score to 2-1.
• The Spartans nearly tied the game multiple times before the end of 90 minutes. A dangerous cross was whipped into the box and rolled just wide of goal. Sophomore Jenna Terenchin also forced a save in the 81st minute to keep the pressure on Franklin & Marshall.
• Franklin & Marshall drew out the remaining minutes of the game by keeping the ball in the corner in the Spartan half of the field and securing a tight victory for the Diplomats.
Anna Morton: 1 goal, 4 shots, 2 shots on goal
Natalie McCarthy: 1 assist, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Jenna Terenchin: 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Jenna Cholowinski: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Nicolette Runko: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Emily Cleary: 1 goal, 1 shot, 1 shot on goal
Catie Kaseta: 1 shot on goal
Cat McCarty (YCP): 90:00 minutes played, 2 goals against, 4 saves (Loss, 0-2)
Sara Ghorashi (F&M): 90:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 7 saves (WIn, 2-0)
York is 2-9 all-time against the Diplomats as Franklin & Marshall has won four straight in the series with the Spartans … their last meeting was on September 10, 2016 which was a 1-0 Diplomat win in York … the Spartans fall to 0-2 on the season coming off of an 8-10 season in 2018 ...Freshman Anna Morton scored her second goal as a Spartan.
The Spartans head out on the road for a three-game road trip starting with a Saturday trip to Westminster, Maryland to face McDaniel College in a non-conference contest. Kick-off is slated for 1:00 pm.
Written by Trey Piper, Athletic Communications Student Assistant