YORK, PA – The York College women's soccer squad made their 2018 Fall Fest home game a memorable one as the Spartans blanked the Southern Virginia Knights 4-0 in Capital Athletic Conference action in York on Saturday afternoon. The Spartans even their conference record at 1-1 as they have now posted three shutouts for the year.
Final Score: York 4 – Southern Virginia 0
Records: York 5-7 (1-1 CAC), SVU 4-7 (0-2 CAC)
Shots: York 28, SVU 2
Shots on Goal: York 14, SVU 1
Corner Kicks: York 13, SVU 1
Fouls: York 11, SVU 8
Saves: York 1, SVU 10
How It Happened:
• The Spartans controlled the game from the opening kickoff as the Spartans pressured the Southern Virginia defense early and often. York got a great chance in the ninth minute as Jo Nicholson hit a beautiful header off a corner that Southern Virginia goalie Rachel Miller was able to stop for the save.
• Junior Emily Munkittrick had York's next best chance in the 11th minute as she collected a loose ball in front of the cage but her shot was a little too high as the game remained scoreless.
• The Spartans continued to have great looks in the first half as they were either saved or just slightly off target as the game remained scoreless through the opening 30 minutes of play.
• York was finally rewarded in the 36th minute as Caitlin Rankin fired a shot from the right wing that was stopped by Miller for a save. Fortunately for York, the ball squirted free and Caitlyn Findlay was in the right spot as she banged home the rebound for her first collegiate goal, giving York the 1-0 lead.
• York struck again right before the half as it was again Rankin creating pressure as she had a shot cleared off the line only to have fellow captain Natalie McCarthy collect the rebound and poke it home for the 2-0 lead just 1:29 before the break.
• York dominated the half as they outshot the Knights 17-0 in the first half including 9-0 in shots on goal.
• The Green and White continued to carry the play in the opening stages of the second half as the pace of the game slowed a bit. Junior Georgia Gillcrist got things going shortly after checking into the game in the 73rd minute. Gillcrist hit a strong shot just wide a mere minute and a half into her shift. She had another great chance in the 78th minute, but again, the shot was just wide of the post.
• Southern Virginia had their best offensive chance of the game in the 81st minute as they hit a great cross in front of the Spartan net but the ball slid out of bounds before a connection to be made on the right post.
• York put the final nails in the Knight coffin in the final six minutes of the game. Rankin recordd her third goal of the year as Gillcrist hit a nice pass from the left wing to the top of the box where Rankin hit a rocket shot inside the right post for the goal with 5:33 left in the game. A mere 47 seconds later, Findlay scored off a Rankin corner kick, giving York the final four goal advantage.
Caitlin Rankin: 1 goal, 3 assists, 5 shots, 3 shots on goal
Caitlyn Findlay: 2 goals, 5 shots, 4 shots on goal
Natalie McCarthy: 1 goal, 5 shots, 2 shots on goal
Georgia Gillcrist: 1 assist, 4 shots, 1 shot on goal
Jamilia Anderson: 1 shot on goal
Emma Stohl: 1 shot
Sydney Kahn (YCP): 90:00 minutes played, 0 goals against, 1 save (Win, 5-6)
Rachel Miller (SVU): 90:00 minutes played, 4 goals against, 9 saves (Loss, 2-7)
York improves to 6-0 all-time against Southern Virginia as they have outscored the Knights 16-3 in the all-time series … York has posted a shutout in three of the games of the series … senior Caitlin Rankin tied the school record for single-game assists as she notched three helpers on the day … Rankin was a part of all four goals for the Spartans … Rankin finished with a career-high five points for the day … Rankin leads the team in points (13) and assists (7) … junior captain Natalie McCarthy tallied her fourth goal of the year in the win as she now is the third Spartan with double digits in points with 11 (four goals and three assists) … freshman Caitlyn Findlay notched her first collegiate goal in the first half and then added a second goal as she recorded her first multi-goal collegiate game … Sydney Kahn recorded her second shutout of the year as she was forced to make just one save in the win … York's three team shutouts for the year have seen the Spartans outscore those three opponents by a combined score of 13-0 … York has now had nine different players score at least one goal this year.
The Spartans return to action on Wednesday, October 10 when they head to Middletown, PA to face the Penn State Harrisburg Lions in a Capital Athletic Conference contest. Game time in Middletown is set for 3:00 pm.