YORK, Pa. – The York College women's lacrosse team saw a 9-5 lead erased in the second half to fall 12-11 in overtime to the University of Mary Washington in the Capital Athletic Conference semifinal at Kinsley Field on Wednesday evening. The Eagles clawed back, scoring four of the final five goals to force overtime before getting the game winner. Baleigh Bradley led the Spartans with a career-high four points, dishing out three assists, while Meghan Fox and Regan Cook each scored three goals.
Final Score: #5 York 11, #8 Mary Washington 12
Records: #5 York 13-4, #8 Mary Washington 16-3
Shots: York 32, Mary Washington 28
Shots on Goal: York 27, Mary Washington 21
Saves: York 9, Mary Washington 16
Draw Controls: York 14, Mary Washington 11
Ground Balls: York 15, Mary Washington 17
Turnovers: York 12, Mary Washington 11
Caused Turnovers: York 6, Mary Washington 7
Fouls: York 24, Mary Washington 25
Free Position Shots: York 5-for-11, Mary Washington 2-for-9
How it Happenend
• The Eagles jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, getting a pair of goals from Holly Hudson in the first 5:20. Just under three minutes later, the Spartans got their feet under them, and ripped off three consecutive goals in just 1:08. Caitlin Rankin put York on the board as she probed the defense then found Skye Slater posted up in front of the net. Slater finished easily to cut the deficit in half. The equalizer was very similar, but it was Hayley McCormick reading the defense and passing to Meghan Fox, who was able to reach for the pass and rip a shot all in one motion to tie the game. The flurry continued for the Spartans, scoring their third when Rankin scored on a free-position shot. York quickly changed the game's momentum, and used the draw as a way to keep pouncing on the Eagles. Mary Washington would eventually level the score at 3-3 with 15:40 left in the first, but the Spartans quickly grabbed the upper hand again. Immediately following a timeout, Fox earned a free-position shot, which she took advantage of, putting York back in front at 4-3.
• The teams continued their seesaw battle while alternating goals, but the Spartans refused to fall behind. Julia Albert scored her second of the game to tie it at 4-4, but Fox again pushed York ahead, taking a pass from Baleigh Bradley. On numerous occasions, Bradley was the facilitator, holding the ball at the goal line extended and waiting for an uncovered player to roll toward the net. With 1:27 left before the halftime break, UMW again tied it, but when an Eagle was forced off the field with a yellow card, Bradley fed Cook with just three seconds left to enter the break with a 6-5 lead.
• York excelled on the free-position shots, and that's where it was earning plenty of opportunities all afternoon. Less than two minutes into the second half, Slater scored on a FPS, igniting another three-goal run for the Spartans. Devin Hursey found Cook to make it 8-5, and with 19:20 remaining, Melissa Meehling made it 9-5 on another free-position shot.
• UMW scored twice in 3:12 to trim the lead to 9-7, but still York seemed in control. Bradley solidified the cushion with a free-position goal with 10:10 left to go up 10-7. The Eagles, still, wouldn't go away. In just 2:28, Mary Washington scored three goals, with all three assists coming from Albert to tie the game at 10-10, the first tie since 5-5.
• Cook came through with 5:41 with her third goal of the game, again taking an assist from the distributing Bradley. Too much time remained for Mary Washington, though, and Hudson scored her third of the game with 52 seconds left. A big defensive stop by the Spartans shut off the Eagles from a late game winner, and forced overtime.
• Albert dished out her sixth assist of the game, finding Paige Haskins for the game winner 1:47 into the overtime period, advancing the Eagles to the CAC Championship game.
Baleigh Bradley: 1 goal, 3 assists, 2 shots
Meghan Fox: 3 goals, 7 shots, 1 ground ball
Regan Cook: 3 goals, 8 shots, 1 ground ball
Skye Slater: 2 goals, 3 shots, 3 ground balls
Julia Albert: 2 goals, 6 assists, 4 shots, 2 draw controls, 1 ground ball
Holly Hudson: 3 goals, 6 shots
Paige Haskins: 2 goals, 5 shots, 2 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers
Charlotte Wright (YCP): 61:47 minutes played, 12 goals against, 9 saves (L, 13-4)
Hanna Ashby (UMW): 61:47 minutes played, 11 goals against, 16 saves (W, 5-2)
York is now 8-13 all-time in the Capital Athletic Conference Tournament … the Spartans fall to 3-3 against Mary Washington in the CAC tournament, and 8-10 overall … Meghan Fox enters the NCAA Tournament with the most points on the team with 57 on 47 goals and 10 assists … she has scored in every game … Regan Cook scored three more goals, the sixth time in the last seven games she has scored at least three goals … in the last seven games, Cook has 23 goals … Baleigh Bradley's four points sets a career high … she dished out three assists in a game for the second time in her career … Charlotte Wright made nine saves, the sixth time she's made at least nine in a game … in the earlier meeting this season, she made 13 saves against Mary Washington.
York will head to the NCAA Tournament next weekend. Visit www.ycpspartans.com for information on the tournament schedule, dates and location once it's released.