YORK, Pa. – The Spartans fell, 56-53, on a three-pointer at the buzzer Tuesday night at Lebanon Valley as the Dutchmen battled back from a nine-point deficit earlier in the fourth quarter.
Lebanon Valley 3-3
Score: Lebanon Valley 56, York 53
FG: YCP 20-for-62 (32.3%), LVC 21-for-65 (32.3%)
3PT FG: YCP 7-for-29 (24.1%), LVC 3-for-17 (17.6%)
FT: YCP 6-for-8 (75.0%), LVC 11-for-14 (78.6%)
Rebounds: YCP 41, LVC 48
Assists: YCP 14, LVC 11
Turnovers: YCP 12, LVC 13
Blocked Shots: YCP 7, LVC 5
Steals: YCP 7, LVC 8
How It Happened
• Alana Bortner scored the first five points for York, putting the Spartans on the board with a three-pointer, followed by a layup coming off a Meghan Carlson steal. Haley Luckabaugh later opened up some breathing room for the Spartans as she knocked down a three-pointer to give York a 12-8 advantage midway through the first quarter.
• Sammie Matteo knocked down a jumper with 1:10 left in the first quarter to give the Spartans a 14-8 lead at the end of the first 10 minutes of play. York held LVC scoreless through the final four minutes of the opening quarter as the Spartans went on a 7-0 run during that stretch. The Spartans owned a 12-9 advantage in rebounds in the opening quarter, while shooting 42.% from the floor.
• York opened up a 19-8 advantage as Bradi Zumbrum and Bortner combined for five points on back-to-back possessions early in the second quarter. The Spartans maintained the lead until 2:16 to go in the first half when the Dutchmen moved ahead, 20-19, on a pair of made free throws, which capped a 12-0 run by LVC.
• Lebanon Valley took a 22-21 lead into halftime as York shot just 2-for-15 from the field in the second quarter with a near seven-minute scoring drought.
• A back-and-forth battle ensued to start the third quarter before York began to pull away near the midway point. The Spartans scored on three-straight possessions, highlighted by a Bortner three-pointer, to take a 36-31 lead with 4:10 left.
• Luckabaugh knocked down a three-pointer with 1:17 left in the third quarter as York took a 43-37 lead into the break. Spartans found their rhythm again offensively as they shot 50.0% from the field in the third quarter, including 3-for-6 from three-point range.
• York opened up a nine-point lead two minutes into the fourth quarter after a pair of made three throws by Carlson. The comfortable margin would be short-lived as the Spartans found themselves in a dog fight late in the quarter following a 12-2 run by the Dutchmen, which gave LVC a 51-50 lead with 1:52 left to play.
• Kayla Ferris gave York a big lift as she drained a runner from the base line to tie the game, 53-53, with 43 seconds left. York managed to get a stop on the ensuing Dutchmen possession, but LVC's Daelyn Stabler came up big as she stole the ball away from Carlson on York's next trip down the floor.
• Following the steal, the Dutchmen called a timeout to advance the ball to their side of the court with just five seconds left on the game clock. Out of the break, LVC's Morgan Bamberger found some open room in the corner where she sunk a three-pointer to put the Dutchmen ahead, 56-53, as time expired.
• After a brief conference, the referees put 0.2 seconds back on the clock and York used a timeout to advance the ball. LVC brought heavy pressure on the entry pass and York could not manage to get a shot up in time as the clock ran out.
Alana Bortner: 14 points, 4 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block
Meghan Carlson: 6 Points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 blocks, 2 steals
Molly Day: 9 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist
Emily Mealey: 16 points, 16 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals
Morgan Bamberger: 13 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal
Daelyn Stabler: 11 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals
York held a lead for 73% of the game, spending over 29 minutes with the advantage … the Spartans knocked down seven three-pointers for the second straight-game and have made seven or more in three games this season … York recorded seven blocks on the night, the second-highest total this season … Meghan Carlson led all players with a career-high four blocks on the night and paced York with a season-best eight rebounds … Alana Bortner led York offensively with 14 points as she has reached double-figures in three-straight games … York now falls to 4-7 in the all-time series as Lebanon Valley has won the last three meetings.
The Spartans return home to face Lancaster Bible on Wednesday, December 4 with tip-off set for 6 p.m. at Wolf Gym.