YORK, Pa. – After trailing nearly the entire fourth quarter, York tied the game with six seconds left in regulation to force overtime and then proceeded to out-score McDaniel 11-4 in overtime to take the 71-64 victory Saturday inside Wolf Gym. Molly Day and Kayla Ferris each turned in double-double performances to lead York on the day.
Score: York 71, McDaniel 64
FG: YCP 19-for-60 (31.7%), McD 23-for-69 (33.3%)
3PT FG: YCP 7-for-26 (26.9%), McD 5-for-19 (26.3%)
FT: YCP 26-for-36 (72.2%), McD 13-for-20 (65.0%)
Rebounds: YCP 51, McD 47
Assists: YCP 8, McD 11
Turnovers: YCP 12, McD 11
Blocked Shots: YCP 4, McD 5
Steals: YCP 8, McD 7
How It Happened
• With the shooting numbers just about even through the first quarter, the strong rebounding effort for the Spartans made the difference as they hauled in 13 boards to just seven by McDaniel. York was especially effective on the offensive glass, out-rebounding McDaniel 6-2.
• Alana Bortner (5) and Meghan Leininger (4) combined for nine points to lead the Spartan offense in the second quarter, while Kayla Ferris led the team with three rebounds in the second quarter. The Spartans' produced a strong effort from beyond the three-point arc, shooting 66.7% as four different players knocked shots from three-point range.
• York opened up a nine-point lead with 1:46 left in the third quarter on a Ferris layup, but the Green Terror ended the quarter with an 8-0 run to erase the York lead to just one point heading into the fourth.
• McDaniel scored the opening basket of the fourth quarter to take the lead for the first time since the seventh minute of the first quarter. The fourth quarter was neck and neck the whole way and York managed to get a critical stop with 11 seconds left. On the ensuing possession, Bortner scored the tying layup with six seconds left to send the game into overtime.
• York built off the momentum it gained at the end of regulation into overtime as the defense held McDaniel to just four points in the extra frame. The Spartans shot well from the free throw line, making seven of nine attempts, which proved to be the difference as they scored just two field goals and held the Green Terror to a 1-for-7 performance from the field in the overtime period.
Molly Day: 17 points, 10 rebounds, 1 steal
Kayla Ferris: 10 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, 3 blocks
Alana Bortner: 18 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals
Meghan Carlson: 10 Points, 2 rebounds
Green Terror Leaders
Anna Mondoro: 14 points, 3 rebounds
Ellie Connelly: 12 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist
Mallory Conroy: 10 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks, 3 steals
Kayla Ferris turned in another balanced effort with her second-straight double-double performance as she now has three on the season and five for her career … Ferris led all players with 11 rebounds on the day, including eight on the defensive glass … Molly Day produced her second-career double-double as she has reached double figures in scoring in four of six games this season … Alana Bortner led all scorers on the day with a career-high 18 points, including a career-best seven free throws as she finished 7-for-8 from the line … Meghan Carlson led all players with a career-high eight free throws made as she finished 8-for-10 … freshman Meghan Leininger scored her first-career point on the day with a free throw in the second quarter and finished the day with seven total points … York has won four of the last five meetings with McDaniel, but the Green Terror maintain a 24-14 advantage in the all-time series.
The Spartans hit the road to take on Lebanon Valley on Tuesday. Tip-off is slated for 6 p.m. in Annville, Pa.