CARLISLE, PA – The York College women's basketball team held off a late charge from Dickinson College to register a 50-48 win in Carlisle on Tuesday night. The Spartans have won two of their last three after starting the season 0-2.
York (Pa.) 2-3
Score: York 50, Dickinson 48
FG: York 19-for-57 (33.3%), Dickinson 14-for-63 (22.2%)
3PT FG: York 5-for-18 (27.8%), Dickinson 3-for-27 (11.1%)
FT: York 7-for-14 (50.0%), Dickinson 17-for-20 (85.0%)
Rebounds: York 45, Dickinson 47
Assists: York 10, Dickinson 5
Turnovers: York 14, Dickinson 10
Blocked Shots: York 4, Dickinson 5
Steals: York 5, Dickinson 4
How It Happened:
• The Red Devils got off to a great start as they began the game on a 9-3 run. The Spartans battled back and cut the Dickinson lead to three on a Savannah Wilson three pointer with 1:41 left in the quarter. Dickinson scored the final four points of the opening period to take a 17-10 lead after 10 minutes of play.
• The Spartans opened the second quarter with a 9-2 spurt, tying the game at 19 with 5:16 left in the half. Junior Kayla Ferris had a pair of buckets to power the run for the Green and White. Dickinson answered as they scored four straight points before the Spartans ended the half on a 9-0 run to take a 28-23 lead to the break. Haley Luckabaugh kick started the Spartan spurt with a triple and Ferris capped the run with hoop with two seconds left in the quarter.
• After Alana Bortner hit a triple to start the third quarter, the Red Devils cut the Spartan lead to four at 31-27. The Spartans outscored Dickinson 11-5 over the final seven minutes of the third quarter to take a 42-32 lead heading to the final period.
• The Spartans notched a Ferris basket to start the fourth as their lead hit a game-high 12 points. York would struggle offensively the rest of the game as the hoop had a lid on it for the team in green. The Red Devils went on a 8-1 run to trim the Spartan lead to five at 45-40 with 4:52 left in the game. Ferris hit a pair of back -to-back jumpers to push York's lead to nine at 49-40 with 3:41 left. The Spartans then went scoreless for the next 3:30, allowing Dickinson to climb back into the game.
• Claudia Maira hit a three for Dickinson after the Spartans appeared to get a stop but the loose ball bounced right to Mairia who hit just the third triple of the night for the Red Devils. Maura Leverone hit a pair of free throws with 1:34 left to cut the Spartan lead to three. York ran down the shot clock on the next possession but the Dickinson defense forced a shot clock violation. Leverone missed a three on the ensuing possession and Bortner pulled in the defensive rebound. York turned the ball over 17 seconds later and Halle Maeda grabbed the ball at midcourt and streaked in for the lay-up with 37 seconds left.
• The Spartans committed another turnover with 28 seconds left giving Dickinson a chance to win the game. Dickinson missed a lay-up with 19 seconds left and Bradi Zumbrum grabbed the rebound as Dickinson was forced to foul. That was only the Red Devils second foul of the quarter as they were forced to foul three more times to put York at the line. By the time they committed the fifth foul, Molly Day split a pair of free throws to put York up two with 10 seconds left. The Spartans forced a missed shot as Wilson pulled down the final rebound to secure the Spartans second win of the year.
Kayla Ferris: 17 points, 13 rebounds, 8-for-11 FG, 1-for-2 3PT, 1 assist, 1 block, 2 steals
Alana Bortner: 14 points, 3 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal
Savannah Wilson: 8 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal
Meghan Carlson: 5 rebounds, 3 points
Red Devil Leaders
Jennifer Kremp: 10 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist
Halie Maeda: 8 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal
Emily Padalino: 12 rebounds, 6 points, 2 blocked shots
The Spartans and Red Devils were meeting for the first time since November 22, 2002 … York improves to 5-3 in the all-time series as York has won two straight against Dickinson … junior guard Kayla Ferris pulled in a career-high 13 rebounds in the win … freshman Savannah Wilson handed out a career-high four assists while she tied her career-high with four rebounds … freshman Bradi Zumbrum handed out a career-high four assists in the victory … sophomore Alana Bortner tied her career-high with 14 points, matching the total she had on Friday night against William Paterson … Bortner made a career-high six field goals in the win … the Spartan defense had their best performance of the year as they limited Dickinson to just 22.2% shooting from the floor … Dickinson's 48 points is a season low for a Spartan opponent … York was outrebounded for the fourth time in five games this year … the Spartans have hounded their opponents from the three point arc as their five opponents are just 14-for-82 (17.1%) … the Spartans have started the season cold from the line as they are just 49-for-82 (59.6%) from the stripe including 7-for-14 in the win over the Red Devils … conversely, Dickinson was 17-for-20 in the game … the Spartans have blocked 23 shots in their five games led by Zumbrum as the freshman forward has eight followed by Ferris who has seven.
The Spartans return to Wolf Gym to face McDaniel in a non-conference contest on Saturday, November 23 in York. Tip time is scheduled for 1:00 pm.