YORK, Pa. – The York College women's basketball captured its first win of the 2019-20 season with a 59-50 victory over William Paterson Friday night at Wolf Gym in the first round of the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic. Kayla Ferris led the way for the Spartans with her third-career double-double as she totaled 12 points and hauled in 11 rebounds.
William Paterson 1-1
Score: YCP 59, WPU 50
FG: YCP 23-for-67 (34.3%), WPU 21-for-67 (31.3%)
3PT FG: YCP 4-for-24 (16.7%), WPU 2-for-11 (18.2%
FT: YCP 9-for-16 (56.3%), WPU 6-for-10 (60.0%
Rebounds: YCP 46, WPU 49
Assists: YCP 13, WPU 11
Turnovers: YCP 22, WPU 26
Blocked Shots: YCP 5, WPU 3
Steals: YCP 11, WPU 15
How It Happened
• William Paterson took an early lead, opening the game with a 7-2 run. Molly Day cut the deficit to four with a key three-pointer late in the opening quarter, but the Pioneers open up their lead late as they ended the quarter with a 15-9 lead on a 7-for-15 performance from the field.
• York pulled even with William Paterson, 18-18, with 7:09 left to play in the second quarter on a clutch three-pointer by Ferris. The two teams traded blows throughout the ensuing possessions before the Pioneers eventually pulled away with a 9-0 run to end the second quarter and took a 30-24 into halftime.
• York opened the third quarter with an 8-1 run, capped by a Sammie Matteo jumper to put the Spartans ahead, 32-31, midway through the frame. The Spartans turned up the heat offensively as Matteo and Alana Bortner drained three-pointers on consecutive possessions to open up a 45-36 lead with less than two minutes to play in the third quarter.
• The York offense exploded in the third quarter, out-scoring William Paterson 21-8 and shot an efficient 44.4% from the floor. Day led all Spartans with seven third-quarter points, while Bortner and Matteo each tallied five.
• The Pioneers pulled within four points of the lead with 1:42 left to play in the fourth quarter as Madison Dulude converted a pair of free throws. Bradi Zumbrum came up big for York on the ensuing possession as the freshman managed to fight through a foul for a layup and then converted her free throw to complete the three-point play. Zumbrum's made free throw sealed the victory as the Spartans maintained their seven-point lead through final 1:15 of play.
Kayla Ferris: 12 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals
Molly Day: 14 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks
Alana Bortner: 14 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists
Bradi Zumbrum: 8 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, 2 blocks
Brianna Brooks: 13 points, 11 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 steals, 2 blocks
Madison Dulude: 10 points, 6 rebounds, 1 steal
Jykayla Elting: 9 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 steals, 1 block
Kayla Ferris scored a season-high 12 points and finished one rebound shy of tying her career-high (11) to capture her third-career double-double … Ferris is the first Spartan with a double-double this season … Alana Bortner and Molly Day led the way offensively with 14 points each … 14 points marks a career-high for Bortner and a season-high for Day, who has reached double-figures in all three games this season … freshman Bradi Zumbrum made a big impact in her first-career start, setting season-bests in points (8) and rebounds (9) … York has now won the turnover battle in all three games to start the season … the Spartans have reached double-figures in steals in six of their last eight games dating back to last season, including all three games this season … York takes a 2-1 lead over William Paterson in the all-time series.
The Spartans remain home to face Catholic in the championship game of the 13th annual Coaches vs. Cancer Classic. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. at Wolf Gym.