CLERMONT, FLA. – The York College softball team bashed their way to a couple of wins on Monday after setting a school record for homeruns in a single game while outscoring their opponents 27-1 on the day.
York (Pa.): 4-2
Regis (Mass.): 0-3
Game One Stats
Runs: York 17 / Regis 0
Hits: York 15 / Regis 2
Errors: York 1 / Regis 0
Left on Base: York 2 / Regis 3
York Offensive Leaders
Julie Van O'Linda: 2-for-2, 4 RBI, 2 runs scored, 2 HR
Mia Ruffalo: 2-for-3, 3 RBI, 2 runs scored, 2 HR
Alyssa Harhigh: 2-for-3, 4 RBI, 3 runs scored, HR, BB
Taylor Lindsay: 3-for-3, 3 RBI, 1 run scored
Regis Offensive Leaders
Ellery Rasmussen: 1-for-2
Sarah Fawcett: 1-for-2
Shyla Pastore: 2.0 innings pitched, 2 K (W, 1-0)
Samantha Kiser: 3.0 innings pitched, 2 hits, 1 BB, 3 K
Alyssa Ward: 1.0 innings pitched, 4 hits, 4 runs, 4 earned runs, 1 BB (L, 0-1)
Keira Columbus: 1.0 innings pitched, 6 hits, 7 runs, 6 earned runs, 1 BB, 2 K
Nicole Tebo: 2.0 innings pitched, 5 hits, 6 runs, 6 earned runs, 2 BB, 3 K
How It Happened
• After a 1-2-3 inning for Regis, the Spartans put one on the board in the first off a Taylor Lindsay single to right to bring in Shyla Pastore. This would just be the beginning of an offensive outburst by the Green and White.
• The second inning started with a bang as Mia Ruffalo blast a homer over the left field wall. After an Indira Purnell walk, Julie Van O'Linda stepped up to hit a two-run shot to left and York was up 4-0 early. The Spartans went on to hit four straight singles to add three more runs. With two outs in the frame, the Spartans would add four more runs on a pair of two-run blasts by Ruffalo and Van O'Linda, their second each of the inning to put York way in front 11-0. York scored ten runs in the stanza.
• York would add another run in the third innings and five in the fourth. Alyssa Harhigh hit her third homerun of the season, two-run shot, after a pair or RBI singles from Hannah Vogt and Pastore. Samantha Kiser would shut down Regis for the final inning and the Spartans smashed their way to a 17-0 victory.
Game Two Stats
Runs: York 10 / Mitchell 1
Hits: York 8 / Mitchell 3
Errors: York 1 / Mitchell 6
Left on Base: York 5 / Mitchell 3
York Offensive Leaders
Julie Van O'Linda: 2-for-3, 2 runs scored, 2B
Shyla Pastore: 2-for-4, 3 RBI, 2 runs scored, SB
Alyssa Harhigh: 1-for-3, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, HR
Mia Ruffalo: 1-for-3, RBI
Mitchell Offensive Leaders
Alex Lopez: 1-for-2, RBI, 2B
Maliah Pabellon: 1-for-2, 2B
Ginger Lewis: 5.0 innings pitched, 3 hits, 1 run, 0 earned, 5 K (W, 2-1)
Hannah Vogt: 1.0 innings pitched
Suzanne Vachon: 6.0 innings pitched, 8 hits, 10 runs, 5 earned, 1 BB, 1 K (L, 0-1)
How It Happened
• The Spartans started in the first inning again, becoming a theme in Florida for the Green and White, after Taylor Lindsay was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to bring in Elle Meyer for the first run and Mia Ruffalo knocked in another on a sacrifice fly to center to give York an early 2-0 lead.
• York continued to take advantage of Mariner errors after a Julie Van O'Linda double, Madison Brumagin reached via an error to bring in Van O'Linda. Brumagin would later steal third and come in to score on a Shyla Pastore groundout to push the lead to four.
• The Spartans continued to capitalize on Mariner miscues scoring three runs in the fourth, all unearned runs after Mitchell committed a pair of errors on back-to-back plays leading to runs. York scored three in the fourth inning on just one hit. Mitchell would finally crack the scoreboard on an Alex Lopez RBI double.
• In the sixth, Pastore singled to bring in Meyer to add some insurance runs before Alyssa Harhigh stepped up to blast a two-run homer to left field to put the Mariners away for good and close out a 10-1 victory.
York is now 20-9 all-time in Clermont, Fla. … the Spartans hit six homeruns in the two games combined including five in the opening game of the day against Regis … the five home runs are the most in program history in a single game … Mia Ruffalo and Julie Van O'Linda each hit a pair of homers in the win over Regis becoming just the fifth and sixth Spartans in school history to post multi-homerun games, the last to do it was Carleigh Ruleman back in 2016 … Ruffalo and Van O'Linda also had eight total bases in that game which is tied for fifth most in school history … the two home runs were the first career round-trippers for senior Mia Ruffalo, who is now hitting .438 with a pair of doubles and homeruns to go along with six RBI … Van O'Linda also hit her first two career homeruns against Regis … freshman Alyssa Harhigh homered in her third and fourth straight game and has a team-leading four dingers and 12 RBI in the early part of the season … the Spartan pitching was dialed in all day allowing only five hits in the two games and just one run … York has outscored their opponents 46-12 on the year and 40-6 during their four-game winning streak … the Spartans are hitting .321 as a team with nine home runs.
The Spartans will have a day off before being back in action with a doubleheader against Eastern University in Florida. Game one scheduled to start at 9:00 am.