YORK, PA – The York College men's soccer squad got a penalty kick goal from senior Brooke Addisu with 6:54 left in the second overtime to down Salisbury University 2-1 in the Capital Athletic Conference Quarterfinals on Saturday night in York. The Spartans advance to face top-seeded Christopher Newport in Wednesday's CAC Semifinals.
Final Score: York 2, Salisbury 1 2OT
Records: York 9-8-2, SAL 9-9-1
Shots: York 15, SAL 12
Shots on Goal: York 10, SAL 4
Corner Kicks: York 4, SAL 7
Saves: York 3, SAL 8
Fouls: York 11, SAL 17
How It Happened:
• The game went back and forth early with the majority of play coming between the two 18's. The Spartans got an early shot on goal as Danny Morgan hit a shot that was saved by Salisbury keeper Gabe Dunn.
• The Spartans took advantage of a little bit of momentum in the 23rd minute as Isiah Dorsey send a pass in from the wing that found the head of fellow senior Marc Murgo who snapped home the header for the 1-0 Spartan lead. The goal was Murgo's second of the year. The remainder of the half lacked many quality chances as York took the 1-0 lead to the break.
• Salisbury came out of the half intent on notching the equalizing goal. The Sea Gulls finally got what they were looking for in the 65th minute as Dolph Hegewisch hit a free kick from 20 yards out that was headed in by Josh Woozley for the tying goal. The goal was Woozley's fifth of the year. The Sea Gulls almost added to the goal three minutes later as Brook Addisu cleared a Stephen White shot off the line to keep the game tied.
• York had a pair of shots that Dunn stopped with just under 20 minutes left in regulation. The Sea Gulls nearly won the game with 54 seconds left in regulation as George Fotiou hit a header that just skimmed over the bar as the teams headed to overtime.
• Salisbury controlled the first overtime as York was forced to really defend during the 10-minute overtime. Salisbury outshot York 4-1 in the first extra session but the Green and White defense along with keeper Billy Bridegum kept York in the game.
• The Green and White turned the tables quickly in the second overtime as they pressured the Gulls from the start. York pushed into the Salisbury defensive third as Zion Friday fired a shot that Dunn saved. In going for the loose ball rebound, Dunn fouled a Spartan in the box to give York a penalty kick. Addisu, a senior captain playing his final home game, calmly stepped up and drilled the PK for the win. Addisu was mobbed by his teammates as the Spartans poured onto the field after the goal.
Marc Murgo: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal
Brook Addisu: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Isiah Dorsey: 1 assist, 1 shot on goal
Danny Morgan: 2 shots on goal
Zion Friday: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Sea Gull Leaders
Josh Woozley: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Dolph Hegewisch: 1 assist, 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
John Ford: 1 shot on goal
Stephen White: 1 shot on goal
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 103:06 minutes played, 1 goal allowed, 2 saves (Win, 5-6-2)
Gabe Dunn (SAL): 90:00 minutes played, 2 goals allowed, 8 saves (Loss, 3-4)
The Spartans are now 16-26-6 all-time against the Sea Gulls … the match is the final between the two programs as CAC opponents as York heads to the MAC next fall … the Spartans finished the year 2-1 against Salisbury as all three matches were decided by one goal … York is now 34-17-3 all-time in the CAC Tournament … York is now 6-8-2 against Salisbury in the CAC tournament … York advances to the CAC Semifinals for the first time since 2016 when they advanced the semifinals at Mary Washington … York has not played for the CAC championship since 2013 when they captured the title at Salisbury … the Spartans got a pair of goals from unlikely players as defenders Brook Addisu and Marc Murgo each netted goals … Addisu now has seven goal and two assists during his 73 game Spartarn career … the game-winning goals was Addisu's third career game winning goal and his first this year … Murgo recorded his third goal of the year and his seventh career tally in his 73 career games for the Green and White. Murgo has tied his career-high with six points … junior Billy Bridegum earned his 20th career victory in the win.
The Spartans head to top-seeded Christopher Newport on Wednesday night to face the Captains in the CAC semifinals. Game time from Newport News is set for 7:30 pm.