YORK, PA – The York College men's soccer team played in their sixth straight one goal game as the #23 Christopher Newport Captains spoiled the Spartans' senior day 1-0 on a wet Saturday night in York. The Spartans have now lost two straight, as they fall under .500 in the CAC.
Final Score: York 0, #23 Christopher Newport 1
Records: York 8-7-2 (4-5 CAC), CNU 11-2-3 (8-1 CAC)
Shots: York 5, CNU 11
Shots on Goal: York 3, CNU 4
Corner Kicks: York 4, CNU 4
Saves: York 3, CNU 3
Fouls: York 13, CNU 8
How It Happened:
• The Captains got started early as Michael Wilson collected loose ball outside the box. The ball took a high bounce and Wilson headed the ball from eight yards out over the outstretched arms of Spartan keeper Billy Bridegum. The goal came in the tenth minute of the game.
• The Captains had a chance to add on in the 31st minute as Lincoln Kickbush hit a firm shot from the top of the box that just missed the far left post and scooted out of bounds for a goal kick. CNU had yet another dangerous chance in the 37th minute as a bouncing ball in the box was nearly hit into the goal before Bridegum punch the ball out of harms way.
• York's lone dangerous opportunity in the first half came with two minutes left in the stanza as McClain Smith struck a rocket from just outside the box that resulted in a Justin Piercy save.
• The Spartans were outshot 6-2 in the first half including 2-1 in shots on goal. York held a slight 2-1 edge in corner kicks.
• The second half was played in a steady rain as the game was played between the offensive thirds. The Spartans best chance to tie the game came in the 81st minute as Joey Faddoul hit a brilliant strike from the top of the box. Newport keeper Justin Piercy needed all of his 6'3"of his frame as he stretched out and just turned away the shot that looked like it was ticketed for the upper right 90.
• The Spartans managed just three second half shots with two coming on goal as their suffered their second straight shutout loss at home.
Joey Faddoul: 1 shot on goal
McClain Smith: 1 shot on goal
Barak Amige: 1 shot on goal
Michael Wilson: 1 goal, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Sam Dickinson: 1 shot on goal
Cory Hogge: 1 shot on goal
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 90:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 3 saves (Loss, 4-5-2)
Justin Piercy (CNU): 90:00 minutes played, 0 goals against, 3 saves (Win, 11-2-3)
The Spartans are now 7-8-5 all-time against the Captains as CNU swept the season series … prior to the game, the Spartans honored their nine seniors … Brook Addisu, Marc Murgo, Keith Witherell, Sam Johnson, Barak Amige, Ali Demiri, Joey Faddoul, Malcom Djiki, and Isiah Dorsey all played their final regular season home game in Saturday's match … the Spartans have won 33 games over the last four years … York has played in 10 games decided by one goal as they are now 4-6 in those games … the Spartans are now 2-3 without the services of Zion Friday, the Spartans' leading scorer who was injured in the Salisbury game on October 9 … York has scored just two goals in their last five games during Friday's absence.
The Spartans conclude their regular season on Wednesday afternoon as they travel to the University of Mary Washington to face the Eagles. The match is set for a 3:30 pm start in Fredericksburg, Va.