YORK, PA – The York College men's soccer team dominated from start to finish on Saturday afternoon in York. The game started slowly until the Spartans jumped ahead in the 26th minute. York never looked back, overpowering the Eagles of Juniata College all game en route to a 5-1 victory.
The win notched the third win of the season for the Spartans as they will look to use this game as a building block for the rest of the season.
Final Score: York 5, Juniata 1
Records: York 3-1-2, Juniata 3-4
Shots: York 24, Juniata 3
Shots on Goal: York 18, Juniata 2
Corner Kicks: York 9, Juniata 1
Saves: York 2, Juniata 6
Fouls: York 2, Juniata 3
How It Happened:
• The game started off with a much slower pace than the rest of the game would have. The game was scoreless until junior Zion Friday took a pass from senior Keith Witherell and beat the defender and slid the ball into the back of the net to put the Spartans up 1-0 in the 26th minute.
• The Spartans struck again right before the half as sophomore defender Andrew Colebrook sent a long cross into the box that found sophomore Travis Gould. Gould played the pass off his chest and put the ball past the keeper to double the Spartan lead just 1:17 before the intermission.
• The Green and White came out after the half and started it the same way the first half ended. The Spartans earned a corner which was taken by senior Ali Demiri. Demiri's corner found the head of Gould who headed the ball to the far corner of the net and past the goalkeeper. Gould's second goal of the game gave York a 3-0 lead just 1:22 into the second half.
• Gould completed his hat-trick in the 51st minute after junior Joey Faddoul had a shot that was initially saved. Eagle keeper Andrew Yeich fumbled the ball and Gould was in the right place at the right time to scoop up the ball and tap it in the back of the net for the natural hat trick.
• Juniata got on the scoreboard in the 62nd minute as Jacob Grove collected a loose ball on the right side of the box. Spartan keeper Billy Bridegum was a little off his line as Grove snuck the ball into the goal to spoil the Spartan shutout.
• The Spartans came right back less than a minute later. In the 63rd minute, senior defender Brook Addisu scored his second goal of the season as he converted from the penalty spot. Junior John Weeast drew the foul in the box to earn the PK for the Spartans.
• The Eagles had the last big chance in the game to grab another goal. Wyatt Page took a penalty kick but it was saved by goalkeeper Trevor Hogan who had been in the game for less than 10 minutes.
• The Spartans closed out the game by holding onto possession of the ball and letting the clock continue to run. The team used this time to wind down after the finishing touches had been put on this game long before the final whistle.
Travis Gould: 3 goals, 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
Zion Friday: 1 goal, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Brook Addisu: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Keith Witherell: 1 assist, 2 shots
Jacob Grove: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Wyatt Page: 1 shot on goal
Bass Diakhoumpa: 1 shot on goal
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 66:08 minutes played, 1 goal against, 0 saves (Win, 3-1-2)
Trevor Hogan (YCP): 23:52 minutes played, 0 goals against, 2 saves
Andrew Yeich (JC): 73:42 minutes played, 5 goals against, 6 saves (Loss, 2-3)
Jacob Owings (JC): 16:18 minutes played, 0 goals against, 0 saves
The Spartans move to 23-3 against the Eagles as the Spartans have won nine straight in the series … these two teams last met on September 15, 2018 the Spartans took down the Eagles 2-0 … sophomore Travis Gould doubled his career goal tally by scoring his first career hat-trick and scoring three of the five Spartan goals … junior Zion Friday scored in his second straight game with his game-opening tally … York's five goals were their season-high, besting the three goals they scored in the second game of the year at Bridgewater … the Spartans' 24 shots were a season-high … the three shots conceded were the lowest total allowed by the Green and White in their six games … the Spartans' nine corner kicks were a season-high.
The Spartans return home on Wednesday evening as they host Messiah College at 7:00 pm at Graham Field. The game will be the final game as non-conference opponents as the Spartans will join the Falcons in the MAC next year.
Story written by Trey Piper, York College Atheltic Communications Student Assistant