BALTIMORE, MD – The York College men's soccer team put together a very strong effort at #5 Johns Hopkins University on Wednesday night. Unfortunately for the Spartans, they surrendered a pair of own goals in falling to the nationally ranked Blue Jays 2-1 at Homewood Field on a very warm and humid evening.
The own goals snapped the Spartans' scoreless streak at 408:17 as York had not surrendered a goal since opening night at Eastern Mennonite.
Final Score: York 1, #5 Johns Hopkins 2
Records: York 2-1-2, JHU 4-1
Shots: York 13, JHU 13
Shots on Goal: York 8, JHU 6
Corner Kicks: York 1, JHU 4
Saves: York 4, JHU 7
Fouls: York 14, JHU 9
How It Happened:
• The flow early in the game was back and forth with both teams having token opportunities early. The momentum slowly shifted to the Jays midway through the half as they fired off four consecutive shots over an eight-minute period. The Jays got a corner kick at the 25:12 mark. The kick was served into the box where the Spartans attempted to head the ball out only to have it carom the wrong way into the back of the net for the first goal of the game.
• The Spartans regained their balance and started to press back on the Blue Jays. York managed four shots over the final 15 minutes of the half but weren't able to find the back of the cage.
• The Green and White came out and fired off the first two shots of the half but Xander LeFevre made a pair of stops to keep the Blue Jays in front.
• Lady Luck would again shine her face on the Blue Jays in the 63rd minute. JHU's Nate Charendoff had a shot from close range that Spartan goalie Billy Bridegum stopped. He couldn't corral the rebound and it went right back to Charendoff. The Blue Jay took one touch and then a Spartan defender kicked the ball away and inadvertently into his own goal for the 2-0 Hopkins lead.
• The Spartan ended their team offensive scoreless streak as Zion Friday notched his second goal of the season in the 69th minute. He collected a loose ball, turned and rifled a shot inside the left post from 20 yards out, drawing York to within one goal.
• Friday had two shots within seven seconds of each other in the 78th minute but that's as close as the Spartans would get to the equalizer as they dropped their fifth straight in the series.
Zion Friday: 1 goal, 4 shots, 1 shot on goal
Keith Witherell: 2 shots on goal
Blue Jay Leaders
Team: 2 goals, 2 shot on goal
Jonathon Brown: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Achim Younker: 2 shots
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 90:00 minutes played, 2 goals against, 4 saves (Loss, 2-1-2)
Xander LeFevre (JHU): 90:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 1 save (Win, 4-1)
The Spartans are now 7-22-5 against the Blue Jays as Hopkins has won five straight in the series … the two own goals are the first time in school history that the Spartans have surrendered two in one game … the Spartan defense held the vaunted Blue Jay offense to just 13 shots and just four on cage by a Blue Jay player … Junior keeper Billy Bridegum saw his scoreless streak snapped at 408:17 as he suffered his first loss of the year … the goal for Zion Friday was his second goal of the year and 13th career tally in his 33rd career game for the Spartans … Friday's goal was the first for the Spartan offense in 386:33 of play as their last goal came in the first half of their 3-0 win over Bridgewater.
The Spartans return home on Saturday afternoon as they host Juniata College in a non-conference contest. Kick off from Graham Field is set for 1:00 pm.