YORK, PA – The York College men's soccer squad posted their second consecutive shutout as they finished with a scoreless tie against Stevenson University on a very warm Wednesday afternoon in York. The Spartans played the final 77:50 of the game a man down after a second yellow card left York with only 10 men on the field.
Final Score: York 0, Stevenson 0
Records: York 2-0-1, Stevenson 2-0-1
Shots: York 22, Stevenson 25
Shots on Goal: York 10, Stevenson 6
Corner Kicks: York 6, Stevenson 3
Saves: York 6, Stevenson 10
Fouls: York 6, Stevenson 9
How It Happened:
• The offense pace was brisk early in the game as the two squads took turn firing off shots that were off target. The Mustangs had the first best chance of the game as Jaylen Smith got past the Spartan defense in the box but Billy Bridegum saved the first attempt. Smith got a second crack on the rebound but that attempt was blocked to preserve the shutout.
• York got a Zion Friday rocket on the ensuing possession but Matt Stellitano made a quality save to keep York off the board.
• The tide appeared to turn in the 33rd minute as a second yellow on Spartan Barak Amige resulted in the Spartans playing the remainder of the game down a man. It looked like the Mustangs were going to cash in immediately as Matthew Glady hit a shot that Bridegum saved, allowing the Spartans to regain their balance.
• The Spartans outshot the Mustangs 12-9 in the first half including 5-2 in shots on goal.
• York had a throw in from the left sideline in the 62nd minute. The throw went deep into the box as Friday hit a brilliant header that hit the crossbar and skipped over the cage. Friday had a second shot just 48 seconds later as he had a breakaway that Stellitano made a fantastic save on to keep the game scoreless.
• The Mustangs had a series of three straight shots over the next four minutes but each shot missed the target.
• Friday had a final great chance in the 79th minute as he again got behind the defense. As he approached goal, Stellitano came out to challenge and Friday ripped a shot past him. Unfortunately for York, the shot hit square off the right post and caromed off to the right.
• Bridegum was forced to make a trio of saves over the final ten minutes of regulation to preserve the tie.
• Neither team had many chances in the first overtime. In the second extra session, Friday had a header off a corner that was saved by Stellitano with less than a minute left in the second overtime. Stevenson's Alex Morales put a header on cage with six seconds left on the clock but Bridegum made the stop for York.
Zion Friday: 14 shots, 5 shots on goal
Isiah Dorsey: 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
Keith Witherell: 1 shot on goal
John Weeast: 1 shot on goal
Travis Gould: 1 shot on goal
Jaylen Smith: 6 shots, 1 shot on goal
Alex Morales: 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Sean McDonald: 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 110:00 minutes played, 0 goals against, 6 saves (Tie, 2-0-1)
Matt Stellitano (STE): 110:00 minutes played, 0 goals against, 10 saves (Tie, 2-0-1)
The Spartans are now 20-1-4 against the Mustangs … the tie is the second scoreless tie in the last two years as both of those ties have come at Graham Field in the Spartans' home opener … York is 3-0-2 against Stevenson under head coach Evan Scheffey … the Spartans defensive scoreless streak is now at 272:25 after the back-to-back clean sheets for the Green and White … junior keeper Billy Bridegum earned his seventh career shutout and second this season … Bridegum tied his season-high with six saves in the match … Zion Friday set a new school record with 14 shots in the game as he notched five on target and two more off the pipe.
The Spartans return to action on Saturday as they head back out on the road for a non-conference contest at Elizabethtown College. Kick off in Elizabethtown is set for 7:00 pm.