YORK, PA – The York College men's soccer team finished their regular season with a 5-0 demolition of CAC foe Salisbury to gain momentum for the ensuing CAC playoffs.
Final Score: York 5 – SAL 0
Records: York 10-5-2, (3-2-2), SAL 11-3-2, (4-2-1)
Shots: York 17, SAL 11
Shots on Goal: York 8, SAL 6
Corner Kicks: York 3, SAL 3
Saves: York 6, SAL 3
How It Happened:
• The Spartans got on the board first on a set piece from Barak Amige from the left wing that curled inward toward the goal and found the head of a streaking Marc Murgo who put a head to the ball and blasted it into the left corner of the net giving York a 1-0 lead only 7:04 into the game.
• The Spartans added another goal in the 33rd minute this time Nathan Bilbie was at the top of the box to cleanup an attempted clear by the Salisbury defense and beat the keeper to give the Spartans a 2-0 lead that carried over into the halftime break.
• York tallied another goal at the 58:24 mark of the second half as a loose ball in front of the net was gathered by Keith Witherell who was able to poke it into the open net giving the Spartans a 3-0 advantage.
• In the 84th minute, Ali Demiri intercepted a Sea Gull pass in the offensive-third of the Spartans and rocketed a 35-yard volley just over the outstretched arms of the Salisbury keeper to give York the four-goal lead.
• Only 65 seconds later the Spartans closed the door on the Sea Gulls when Chase Crable stole the ball from the Salisbury defender and beat the keeper one-on-one to seal the 5-0 victory for the Spartans.
Marc Murgo: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 1 shot
Nathan Bilbie: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 2 shots
Keith Witherell: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal, 4 shots
Ali Demiri: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 1 shot
Chase Crable: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 1 shot
Stephen White: 2 shots on goal, 3 shots
Ryan Spadin: 1 shot on goal, 3 shots
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 79.46 minutes played, 0 goals against, 6 saves (Win, 9-5-2)
Devin Weiner (YCP): 10.14 minutes played, 0 goals against, 0 saves
Trevor Brookhart (SAL): 90 minutes played, 5 goals against, 3 saves (Loss, 10-3-1)
York is 14-26-1 all-time against the Seagulls … the five goals are the most against Salisbury since a 5-3 win on October 3, 1998 … the five goals are tied for the most scored this season by the Spartans … the Spartans end the regular season with ten wins, the most since 2013 and the most in Coach Evan Scheffey's brief career so far … Nathan Bilbie and Keith Witherell both tallied their team-leading fourth goals on the season and also had a team0high nine points each … Marc Murgo picked up his second goal on the season with the game-winner early in the contest … both Ali Demiri and Chase Crable recorded their first goals on the season … the goal was also the first of the career for Crable … the Spartans recorded their seventh shutout on the season and ended the regular season slate with a goals against average of just 0.75 … York finished with a 3-3-1 home record for the year.
The Spartans will travel to Frostburg State in the first round of the CAC playoffs on Saturday. York fell at home to the Bobcats 1-0 in their regular season matchup. Kick-off time will be posted soon.