MT. WOLF, PA – The York College men's golf squad opened the campaign with a runner-up finish at the Inaugural Spartan Invitational at Royal Manchester Golf Club in Mt. Wolf, PA this weekend. The Spartans did have the individual champion as freshman Riley Rohlfs was spectacular in shooting a two-day total of 143 to capture the three-stroke victory.
Stevenson captured the team championship as the Mustangs fired a brilliant final round team score of 293 to edge the Spartans by two strokes. Stevenson were eight strokes better than every other team on Sunday to pull off the come-from-behind victory. York finished second at 608 followed by Gettysburg (615), Goucher (616) and Rosemont (618) to round out the top five in the 14-team field.
Top Spartan Performers
• Riley Rohlfs was good in his first collegiate round on Saturday as he fired a two-over-par 74. On Sunday, he was on fire as he blistered the course with a three-under-par 69. He was four-under on the front side as he had three birdies, one eagle, and a bogey en route to his 32. He shot 37 on the back with two birdies and three bogeys. He won the tournament by three strokes over Eastern's Nicky Marrollo.
• Junior Luke Fayocavitz had a good day on Sunday as he fired a three-over-par 75 after a 79 on Saturday. His 154 left him tied for 19th in the 80-player field. Fayocavitz shot an even-par 36 on the front followed by a three-over-39 on the back. Fayocavitz birdied 16 and 17 but gave those two strokes back with a double on 18.
• Junior Matthew Chalupa was York's third finisher as he placed 23rd with a score of 155. Chalupa shot a 78 on Saturday and bettered that by a stroke on Sunday. Chalupa got off to a slow start as he was four over through his first six holes but steadied the ship and went one over through his final 12 holes for his 77.
• Freshman Evan Sitts was York's fourth scorer as he completed his first collegiate tournament with a score of 158 with a 78 on Saturday followed by an 80 on Sunday. Sitts was three over through nine holes and went five-over on the final nine including a double on the final hole of the day to shoot 41. He finished tied for 31st overall.
• Freshman Nick Fioravante was the final member of the starting lineup and he finished tied for 39th with a two-day total of 160. He shot 77 on Saturday and then fired an 83 on Sunday.
• The Spartans had all 11 members of the team participate in the tournament as five formed a de-facto B team while York also had an individual player. The "B" team was comprised of Tyler Woodward, Max Rubin, Dylan Wyatt, Ian Arnold, and Zach Billings while Joel Marshall was playing as an individual. Woodward led the way with a strong first collegiate outing as he shot 153 to finish tied for 13th. Woodward shot 78 on Saturday followed by a 75 on Sunday. Rubin shot 158 (80 and 78) to finish tied for 31st while Wyatt carded a 159 (80 and 79). Arnold completed his first collegiate tournament with a score of 165 (86 and 79) to finish tied for 49th while Billings finished at 168 (89 and 79) as he tied for 61st. Marshall finished tied for 28th in the tournament as he shot 76 and 81 for a tournament total of 157.
The Spartans are now off for a little under three weeks as they will next head to the Mason-Dixon Intercollegiate Invitational at the Bridges Golf Club in Abbottstown, PA. The tournament, hosted by McDaniel College, will be held on Saturday, September 28 and Sunday, September 29.