DELAWARE, PA – The York College men's golf squad finished third at the 2018 Montgomery Cup at the Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort at Shawne on the Delaware, PA. Spartan freshman Casey Leebrick made the tournament a memorable one as he captured tournament medalist honors in his first collegiate tournament.
The Spartans led after round one with a school record 282. The Spartans shot a 294 on Sunday to finish with a score of 576. Allegheny went low on Sunday as they fired a team score of 278 to finish with a two-day score of 565, winning the tournament by eight strokes. Franklin & Marshall finished second at 573 to beat the Spartans by three strokes. McDaniel finished one stroke behind York in fourth while Rosemont rounded out the top five with a score of 592.
Top Spartan Performers
• Freshman Casey Leebrick put together another strong round to win the tournament. Leebrick was two under on the front nine with birdies on four, six, and seven before a bogey on nine. He ripped off three straight pars to open the back nine. He birdied 13 and 15 to get to four under before recording a bogey on 16. He finished the final two holes with pars to finish with a 69. Leebrick finished -8 with a two-day total of 136, two strokes better than Allegheny's Andrew Reynolds who finished second at 138.
• Senior Tyler Newton registered a top five finish as he finished tied for fourth with a two-day total of 142. After Newton shot a 69 on Saturday, the senior carded a 73 on Sunday. Newton was one-under on the front side as he had birdies on five, six, and nine while he also had a bogey on four and eight. Newton got off to a rough start on the back side with bogeys at 10, 12, 13, 14, and 15. Newton birdied 11, 17, and 18 to finish with a two-over 38 on the back side. Newton now has 13 top-five career finishes for the Spartans.
• Sophomore Luke Fayocavitz was the third Spartan finisher as he completed the tournament tied for 15th with a two-day total of 146. Fayocavitz shot 74 on Sunday after carding a 72 on Saturday. On Sunday, Fayocavitz had a strong front nine with a pair of birdies to shoot a two-under 34 on the outward nine. On the backside, Fayocavitz went bogey, birdie to start the final nine. After a par, Fayocavitz went four over par over the final six holes to end with a back-nine 40.
• Sophomore Matthew Chalupa was York's fourth scorer in the tournament as he placed tied for 32nd as he shot a two-day total of 152. Chaulpa shot a 78 on Sunday after carding a 74 on Saturday.
• Sophomore Joel Marshall was York's final tournament participant as he tied for 42nd with a two-day score of 157. Marshall shot 78 on Sunday, a one stroke improvement over his score from Saturday.
He Said It
"We started off pretty well today and found themselves three strokes back to a very hot Allegheny team," said Spartan head coach David Boslough. "On the back nine, we started to force a lot of shots due to needing to make up some ground and we just couldn't get it done. I am very proud of Casey for winning his collegiate debut in a very talented field. We look forward to learning from this and improving for our next tournament at Oglethorpe."
The Spartans are off until Monday, October 1 when they head to Flowery Branch, Georgia to participate in the Oglethorpe Fall Invitational at the Royal Lakes Golf and Country Club. The two day tournament kicks off at 8:00 am on Monday.