YORK, PA – The York College men's basketball squad extended their win streak to five with an emphatic 107-67 non-conference win over Cabrini University on Wednesday night in York. The game was York's final home game of the 2019 calendar year.
York (Pa.): 8-2
Score: York 107, Cabrini 67
FG: York 43-for-77 (55.8%), Cabrini 25-for-67 (37.3%)
3PT FG: York 14-for-35 (40%), Cabrini 4-for-15 (26.7%)
FT: York 7-for-9 (77.9%), Cabrini 13-for-27 (48.1%)
Rebounds: York 48, Cabrini 39
Assists: York 30, Cabrini 9
Turnovers: York 10, Cabrini 18
Blocked Shots: York 3, Cabrini 1
Steals: York 10, Cabrini 8
How It Happened:
• The Spartans got off to a fast start as Colin Rimel and Darin Gordon hit three pointers on York's first two possessions as Cabrini called a timeout 45 seconds into the game. The Spartans kept rolling as they pushed out a 25-11 lead on Zach Novick three pointer with 12:36 left in the half.
• The Green and White continued to build on the lead as it reached 17 on a Bryce Hill three pointer with 8:15 left in the stanza. The Cavaliers cut the lead to 15 but York answered with a 10-0 run as David Giuliani hit a pair of layups followed by three straight Jared Wagner buckets to push the lead to 25 at 44-19. The Cavaliers scored the final five points of the half as York took a 44-24 lead to the intermission.
• The Spartans scored 44 points despite hitting just 6-of-23 three pointers. York went 13-for-19 from two as they pushed out to a 20-point lead.
• Cabrini opened the second half by scoring nine of the first 15 points of the half to cut York's lead to 17. The Spartans put the game away over the next four minutes as they hit Cabrini with a 15-1 run to push the York lead to 31. York continued to build on the lead as it grew to 40 on a Logan Collins corner three midway through the half. York's lead hit a game-high 48 points on an Avery Hinz three pointer with 3:42 left in the game. The Cavaliers ended the game on a 12-4 run to provide for the final 40-point Spartan margin of victory.
• York shot a blistering 68.6% from the floor in the second half including 8-for-12 from three. They outscored Cabrini 30-16 in the paint in the second half while the Spartan bench shined, scoring 40 of York's 63 second half points.
David Giuliani: 18 points, 9 rebounds, 1 blocked shot, 1 steal, 9-for-11 FG
Jared Wagner: 13 points, 9 assists, 3 rebounds, 3 steals, 6-for-6 FG, 1-for-1 3PT FG
Joe Polczynski: 15 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 6-for-10 FG, 3-for-6 3PT FG
Logan Collins: 11 points, 3 rebounds, 1 blocked shot, 2 steals, 4-for-5 FG, 3-for-4 3PT FG
Ryan Byars: 15 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 5 steals
Justin Gans: 11 points, 3 rebounds, 7-for-10 FT
Voshon Mack: 10 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 blocked shot
The Spartans are now 4-4 all-time against Cabrini including winning two straight … the Spartans saw 16 of their 17 players score in the win … junior David Giuliani narrowly missed out on his first Spartan double-double with 18 points and eight rebounds …. Giuliani has reached double figures in nine of his ten games this year … Giuliani went 9-for-11 from the floor and that's the third time this year he has shot over 80% from the floor in a game … senior Joe Polczynski added 15 points for the Spartans, his second-best effort of the year …. Polczynski has reached double figures in four straight games as he is scoring 13 points per game during the Spartans' five game win streak … senior Jared Wagner continued his roll as he was 6-for-6 from the floor and 1-for-1 from three … for the second time this year, Wagner did not attempt a free throw, one game after going to the line a season-high 16 times against Delaware Valley … Wagner handed out nine assists with only one turnover and he now has 47 assists and 15 turnovers over the Spartans' five game win streak … Wagner now has 1,132 career points as he trails former teammate Blayde Reich by 11 points for 21st place on the all-time scoring list … Wagner now has 238 steals and 421 assists for his career … Wagner trails Jeff Landis by five steals for the all-time lead in the category while his assist total is two away from tying Landis for second place on the all-time list … freshman Logan Collins reached double figures for the second straight game and the fourth time this year … Collins is now 12-for-22 from three for the season … freshman Bryce Hill tallied a career-high eight points in the win as he was 3-for-5 from the floor including 2-for-4 from three … freshman Avery Hinz scored a career-high three points on his first collegiate three while he also had a career-high two rebounds …. Sophomore Sean Kelly tied his career-high with five assists, a mark he set last January against Frostburg State … freshman Tristan Kent tallied a career-high eight points in seven rebounds in just nine minutes of play … sophomore Travis Stoll had a career-high three assists in the victory … the Spartans improved to 4-0 at home with the win … the Spartans went over the century mark for the first time since they scored 118 points in an overtime victory at Washington & Lee on December 30, 2017 … it's the first time they reached triple digits in regulation since November 17, 2017 when they hung 101 on Pitt-Bradford at the Hilton Scranton Invitational … York has gone over 80 points seven times this year and have gone 90 or over four times … York shot 55.8% from the floor in the win and that's the sixth time this year York has shot better than 50% from the field … York made 14 three pointers, tying their season high that they have reached four times this year … York's 30 assists were a season-high while they had just ten turovers … the 30 assists are tied for second on the single-game list, seven behind the school record of 37 set at Salisbury in 1985 … York pulled in a season-high 48 rebounds … York's 10 rebounds were the second-highest total of the season (11 vs. Lancaster Bible).
The Spartans are now off until December 28 when they head west to Wooster, Ohio to participate in the Great Lakes Invitational hosted by Wooster College. The Spartans will face Ohio Wesleyan on Saturday at 1:00 pm. York then squares off against #7 Marietta on Sunday at noon.