YORK, PA – The York College men's basketball squad earned their third straight win with a tight 83-78 home win over St. Mary's College in a highly competitive Capital Athletic Conference game on Saturday in York. The Spartans improve to 3-1 in the league and 6-1 overall at home.
Final Score: York 83, St. Mary's 78
Records: York 10-5 (3-1 CAC), SMC 6-9 (0-4 CAC)
Field Goals: York 27-of-66, SMC 29-of-55
Field Goal %: York 40.9%, SMC 52.7%
Three Point FG: York 16-for-44, SMC 6-for-14
Three Point FG %: York 36.4%, SMC 42.9%
Free Throws: York 13-for-20, SMC 14-for-19
Free Throw %: York 65%, SMC 73.7%
Rebounds: York 36, SMC 34
Assists: York 22, SMC 16
Turnovers: York 13, SMC 16
Blocked Shots: York 2, SMC 2
Steals: York 11, SMC 7
How It Happened
• The Seahawks jumped all over the Spartans early as they scored off the opening tap. The Seahawks pushed out to a 13-8 advantage just over five minutes into the game. The Spartans fought back and eventually tied the game at 13.
• The remaining 11:30 of the half were back and forth with neither team could assert control. The stretch featured six ties and six lead changes as neither team led by more than six. Darick Kerns hit a lay-up with 24 seconds left in the first half to give St. Mary's a 39-37 lead at the break. The Seahawks shot 50% (16-for-32) from the floor in the opening 20 minutes while the Spartans struggled from the floor, making just 13-of-33 (39.4%) shots from the field. Fortunately for York, seven of their 13 made field goals were three which kept them in the contest.
• St. Mary's opened the second half with a Reggie Rouse three and a Daquan Staley lay-up to take a 44-37 lead. That would be their biggest advantage of the day. York responded with an 18-4 run that turned their seven-point deficit into a seven-point lead. York got a pair of three pointers from Joey Polczynski on the run while Jared Wagner and Darin Gordon each had triples during the spurt.
• Not to be outdone, St. Mary's fashioned a 9-2 run to tie the game at 57 with 10:08 left in the game. The next five minutes would be more back and forth basketball. There were three more ties and four lead changes, the final lead change coming on a Polczynski three pointer with 3:50 left in the game.
• The Spartans maintained the lead and pushed it to five on a Jason Bady three pointer with 1:24 left. It was then up to Wagner as the junior went 6-for-6 from the free throw line over the final 36 seconds to seal the five point win for the Green and White.
Joey Polczynski: 24 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 9-for-16 FG, 6-for-9 3PT FG
Jared Wagner: 23 points, 12 rebounds, 8 assists, 1 blocked shot, 5 steals, 6-for-6 FT
Darin Gordon: 14 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal
Jason Bady: 9 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals
Spencer Schultz: 17 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals
Reggie Rouse: 16 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal
Phil Newsome: 10 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists
The Spartans have now won five straight against the Seahawks as York is now 45-24 all-time against St. Mary's … the Spartans attempted 44 three pointers in the win, passing Wednesday's 42 attempts as the second-highest total of all-time, two back of the 46 attempted against Wesley last year … York has now attempted 86 threes in their last two games … the 16 three pointers made are a season-high … York has hit for double figures in threes in each of their last three games, all Spartan wins … York tied a season-high with 22 assists in the win … the Spartans did a great job of taking care of the ball with only 13 miscues … York is averaging 13.5 turnovers in their last four games … York won the rebounding battle for just the fifth time this season … York limited St. Mary's to just six made three pointers as their last three opponents are just 18-for-79 (22.7%) from distance … junior Jared Wagner notched his first career double-double with 23 points and a career-high 12 rebounds … Wagner also had eight assists and five steals in the win … Wagner is first in the CAC in steals per game while he is fourth in assists per game … junior Joey Polczynski had a huge day with a career-high 24 points while he made a career-high six three-point field goals … his six three pointers is tied for eighth on the single-game list … junior Darin Gordon tied his career-high with four three pointers made … after the Spartans head out on the road for games at Salisbury and Mary Washington, the Spartans come home for a season-high three game homestand.
The Spartans head back out on the road for a big two-game road trip starting Wednesday at Salisbury University. Tip time at the Maggs Center is set for 7:30 pm.