SALISBURY, MD – The York College field hockey saw their 2019 season come to a close as #3 Salisbury used a three-goal third quarter to eliminate the Spartans 3-0 in the Capital Athletic Conference semifinals on Wednesday. The Sea Gulls, the CAC's top seed, advances to face second-seeded Christopher Newport in the CAC championship game on Saturday.
Final Score: York 0, #3 Salisbury 3
Records: York 10-10, Salisbury 17-1
Shots: York 1, Salisbury 17
Shots on Goal: York 0, Salisbury 13
Penalty Corners: York 1, Salisbury 6
Saves: York 10, Salisbury 0
Defensive Saves: York 2, Salisbury 0
How It Happened:
• The first quarter was a defensive battle as neither team really asserted much offensive pressure. The Gulls had three total shots including a pair on goal while neither team had a penalty corner as the first quarter was scoreless.
• The second quarter was much of the same as there was just three total shots with two coming from Salisbury. The Spartans had the lone penalty corner of the quarter but their only shot was off target as the teams headed to the break scoreless.
• The Sea Gulls came out of the break a different team as they attacked the Spartan defense. They broke into the scoring column 24 seconds into the half as Meghan Jolikko stole a bad Spartan clear and had a one-on-one against Spartan goalie Kaitlyn Wallace. Jolikko was able to beat Wallace for the goal, putting the Gulls up 1-0.
• Salisbury added to the lead just over four minutes later Wallace saved a Rachel Domanico shot but the rebound found Jolikko who fed Jenna Partilla. Partilla pushed a shot past Wallace for the 2-0 lead.
• The Sea Gulls closed out the scoring just before the end of the third quarter as Partilla slipped a pass to McKenzie Mitchell who finished off the chance for the goal.
• The Spartans couldn't muster any offensive attack as the Sea Gull defense locked down York, keeping a majority play in the Salisbury offensive end of the field.
Hayley Taylor: 2 defensive saves
Dana Meehling: 1 shot
Sea Gulls Leaders
Jenna Partilla: 1 goal, 1 assist, 3 shots on goal
Meghan Jolikko: 1 goal, 1 assist, 7 shots, 5 shots on goal
McKenzie Mitchell: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal
Rachel Domanico: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Camryn Dennis: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Kaitlyn Wallace (YCP): 60:00 minutes played, 3 goals allowed, 8 saves (Loss, 5-6)
Dom Farrace (SAL): 60:00 minutes played, 0 goals allowed, 0 saves (Win, 17-1)
The match was the final for the Spartans and Sea Gulls as CAC opponents as the Spartans are heading to the MAC next fall … the Sea Gulls improve to 36-1 against the Spartans all-time … the Sea Gulls swept the Spartans in their two games by a combined score of 5-0 … the Spartans end their CAC run with a record of 15-28 all-time in the CAC tournament … Salisbury has allowed just nine goals in 18 games this year … Salisbury as posted four straight shutouts … the Sea Gulls have 12 shutouts for the year … sophomore Hayley Taylor recorded two more defensive saves as she led the team this year with four … freshman keeper Kaitlyn Wallace allowed a season-high tying three goals but she did make seven saves in the game … Wallace has made 19 saves in her las three games … Wallace finished her freshman year with a record of 5-6 and a goals against average of 2.04 in 707:37 of work … Wallace made 65 saves and notched a save percentage of .730 … York finished with five players reaching double figures in scoring led by freshman Abby Piotrowski who had 21 points on eight goals and five assists … fellow freshman Hannah Huffman added 17 points on seven goals and three assists with a team-leading four game-winning goals.
The Spartans say goodbye to seniors Meghan Heary, Amanda Boclair, and Sam Keating as they closed out their York College field hockey careers on Wednesday. The foursome combined to go 45-30 over the last four years including 14 Capital Athletic Conference wins.