SALISBURY, MD – The York College field hockey squad saw their regular season come to an end with a hard-fought 2-0 loss to #3 Salisbury University on Wednesday night in Salisbury, Maryland. The Spartans end the regular season with three straight losses as they will head into the CAC tournament as the fourth seed on Saturday.
Final Score: York 0, #3 Salisbury 2
Records: York 9-9 (2-3 CAC), SAL 16-1 (5-0 CAC)
Shots: York 1, SAL 19
Shots on Goal: York 1, SAL 12
Penalty Corners: York 3, SAL 8
Saves: York 9, SAL 1
Defensive Saves: York 1, SAL 0
How It Happened:
• The Sea Gull offense put the pressure on the Spartan defense from the opening whistle. The Spartan defense held strong until the end of the period when the Sea Gulls finally broke through for the game's first goal with 26 seconds left in the quarter. Tara Daddio found Spartan keeper Kaitlyn Wallace just out of position and she slid a pass to Jenna Partilla who finished off the shot for the 1-0 lead.
• The Spartans got a defensive save from Amanda Boclair just under five minutes into the second quarter to preserve the 1-0 deficit. Wallace followed with back-to-back saves in the 23rd minute as the Sea Gulls attack proved to be relentless. Wallace got another save before the end of the quarter as the Gulls had to settle for the 1-0 lead at the break.
• Salisbury outshot the Spartans 14-0 in the opening half while they also had a 5-0 margin in penalty corners.
• The Spartans got a pair of penalty corners in the 34th minute but York couldn't muster a shot on either chance. Salisbury's Arielle Johnston had a penalty stroke but Wallace stepped up big with a save. Salisbury got a second stroke with 2:28 left in the third but Rachel Domanico hit the attempt wide as York headed to the fourth down just one.
• The Spartans finally got a shot on goal in the 49th minute as Sam Collis fired a shot off a Meghan Heary penalty corner. That would be the extent of the Spartan offense against the stout Salisbury defense.
• Salisbury solved Wallace a second time with 3:56 left in regulation as Lindsey Elgin scored off a pass from Johnston to extend the Sea Gull lead to two.
Sam Collis: 1 shot on goal
Amanda Boclair: 1 defensive save
Sea Gull Leaders
Jenna Partilla: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Lindsey Elgin: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Tara Daddio: 1 assist, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Arielle Johnston: 1 assist, 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
McKenzie Mitchell: 2 shots on goal
Kaitlyn Wallace (YCP): 60:00 minutes played, 2 goals against, 9 saves (Loss, 4-5)
Dom Farrace (SAL): 60:00 minutes played, 0 goals against, 1 save (Win, 14-1)
The Spartans fall to 1-35 all-time against the Sea Gulls … the match was the last regular season match up as Capital Athletic Conference opponents as the Spartans are heading to the MAC next fall … freshman keeper Kaitlyn Wallace recorded nine saves, her second highest total of the year behind her career-high 11 stops against Franklin and Marshall … the Spartans were shutout for just the second time this year … York is now 5-4 on the road … the Spartans earned the fourth seed after a three way tie was broken against St. Mary's and Mary Washington … St. Mary's won the tie breaker via point differential and then York won the tiebreaker against Mary Washington as the Green and White won the head-to-head match-up earlier in October.
The Spartans begin the Capital Athletic Conference tournament at home on Saturday as they will host the University of Mary Washington in the tournament quarterfinals. Game time at Kinsley Field is tentatively set for 2:00 pm.