YORK, PA – The York College field hockey squad ended their 2019 home slate with a 5-1 setback against #13 Christopher Newport in Capital Athletic Conference play in York on Saturday. The Spartans have now lost two straight contests.
Final Score: York 1, #13 Christopher Newport 5
Records: York 9-8 (2-2 CAC), CNU 12-4 (3-1 CAC)
Shots: York 14, CNU 18
Shots on Goal: York 5, CNU 13
Penalty Corners: York 12, CNU 8
Saves: York 8, CNU 4
Defensive Saves: York 1, CNU 0
How It Happened:
• It didn't take long for Christopher Newport to take control of the game as Rachel Cooke slipped a pass from the right wing into Abby Ascuncion in the circle. Ascuncion hit a hard, backhand shot that got past Spartan goalie Sam Keating for the 1-0 lead. The goal came just 3:10 into the contest.
• The Captains made it 2-0 just over six minutes into the second quarter on a goal that looked very much like their first. Courtney Fiest hit a ball into the circle from the right win. Mauri Ware collected the pass and slashed a backhanded shot into the back of the cage for the 2-0 CNU lead.
• Fiest put the game away early in the third quarter as she scored a pair of goals just over two minutes apart to put the Captains up 4-0. The first goal came on an absolute rocket of a shot off a breakaway as she beat a few Spartan defenders before unleashing the shot. Her second goal came as she took a ball at the top of the circle, dribbled through the Spartan defense and scored her sixth goal of the year.
• York got on the board early in the fourth quarter. Senior Amanda Boclair hit a pass into the middle of the circle where Sam Collis found herself all alone with the goalie in a 1-v-1 situation. Collis beat Olivia Davis with the shot to get York on the board just 26 seconds into the quarter.
• CNU closed out the game with a second Ascuncion goal off a Jackie Kotoriy pass with 4:31 left in the game. The goal for Ascuncion was her team-leading 12th of the season.
Sam Collis: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Amanda Boclair: 1 assist, 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
Dana Meehling: 1 defensive save, 4 shots, 2 shots on goal
Abby Piotrowski: 1 shot on goal
Courtney Fiest: 2 goals, 1 assist, 5 shots, 3 shots on goal
Abby Asuncion: 2 goals, 3 shots on goal
Mauri Ware: 1 goal, 3 shots on goal
Rachel Cooke: 1 assist, 1 shot on goal
Jackie Kotoriy: 1 assist, 1 shot on goal
Sam Keating (YCP): 34:31 minutes played, 4 goals against, 4 saves (Loss, 5-4)
Kaitlyn Wallace (YCP): 25:29 minutes played, 1 goal against, 3 saves
Olivia Davis (CNU): 60:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 4 saves (Win, 11-4)
The Spartans are now 3-5 against the Captains as the match was the final regular season meeting as conference opponents as the Spartans are heading to the MAC next fall … York finished the regular season 4-4 at home … the five goals allowed tied a season high (at F&M) … York has scored just one goal in their last two games and in three of their last four … York put just five of their 14 shots (.357%) on goal.
The Spartans close out their 2019 regular season with a trip to Salisbury University. The game will be the regular season finale for both teams and close out conference play. The match is slated for a 7:00 pm start on Wednesday evening in Salisbury, Maryland.