YORK, PA – The York College field hockey team bounced back from Saturday's disappointing 1-0 shoot out loss at #18 Montclair State with a 2-0 non-conference home win over Elizabethtown on a crisp Wednesday evening in York.
Final Score: York 2, Elizabethtown 0
Records: York 7-5, Etown 3-8
Shots: York 14, Etown 5
Shots on Goal: York 9, Etown 4
Penalty Corners: York 10, Etown 7
Defensive Saves: York 1, Etown 0
Saves: York 4, Etown 7
How It Happened:
• The pace of the match was slow early on as there were just three shots in the opening 15 minutes of play. The Spartans had all three as two were on goal.
• The Spartans finally broke into the scoring column in the 21st minute of play. The Spartans earned a penalty corner at the 20:48 mark. Meghan Heary inserted the corner to the top of the circle. Amanda Boclair served the ball toward the cage and freshman Mya Gerena was there to tip home the pass for the 1-0 Spartan lead. The goal was Gerena's first collegiate goal.
• The Blue Jays went on a run of corners and shots over the next four minutes but couldn't find the mark as Spartan goalie Sam Keating recorded a pair of saves during the spurt.
• The third quarter started with the Spartans getting a big defensive save from Hayley Taylor to keep the Blue Jays off the board. The Blue Jays had a trio of penalty corners in the opening two minutes of the half but the Spartan defense was up to the task as the teams headed to the fourth quarter.
• York got a huge insurance goal with 2:20 remaining in regulation. The Spartan had their ninth penalty corner of the night and converted that chance as freshman Carrie Shuey collected the insert at the top of the circle, side-stepped a defender and sent a pass to Dana Meehling who finished the chance off for her team-leading sixth goal of the year.
• The Spartans preserved the shutout, the team's third of the year as the Spartans have won four of their last five games.
Mya Gerena: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Dana Meehling: 1 goal, 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
Amanda Boclair: 1 assist, 1 shot
Carrie Shuey: 1 assist
Hayley Taylor: 1 defensive save
Abby Piotrowski: 2 shots on goal
Blue Jay Leaders
Lauren Scheib: 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Grace Hussey: 1 shot on goal
Grace Hardy: 1 shot on goal
Sam Keating (YCP): 60:00 minutes played, 0 goals against, 3 saves (Win, 3-1)
Madeline Kachel (EC): 60:00 minutes played, 2 goals against, 7 saves (Loss, 3-8)
York is now 8-27 all-time against the Blue Jays … senior goalie Sam Keating improved to 3-1 after returning to the starting lineup … Keating now has three shutouts for the year and seven for her career … Keating lowered her goals against average to 0.65 for the year … freshman Mya Gerena notched her first career goal on her fourth career shot … junior Dana Meehling recorded her sixth goal as she now leads the team with 12 points … freshman Carrie Shuey recorded her first collegiate point with her second half assist.
The Spartans return to Kinsley Field on Saturday to open their Capital Athletic Conference schedule as they host Southern Virginia. The Spartans will celebrate senior day prior to the match. The game is slated for a 12:00 pm start.