UPPER MONTCLAIR, N.J. – The York College field hockey squad suffered their third overtime loss of the year as Montclair State earned a shootout win over the Spartans 1-0 on Saturday afternoon in Upper Montclair, N.J.
The loss snaps the Spartans three game-win streak and leaves York 0-3 in games that go beyond regulation.
Final Score: York 0, Montclair State 1 (Montclair wins Shootout 3-2)
Records: York 6-5, Montclair State 8-3
Shots: York 21, MSU 5
Shots on Goal: York 14, MSU 4
Penalty Corners: York 14, MSU 4
Saves: York 4, MSU 14
Fouls: York 26, MSU 26
How It Happened:
• The Spartans carried the play for most of the game but Montclair goalie Nicole Andriani kept the Green and White off the scoreboard. York outshot the Red Hawks 4-0 in the first quarter but Andriani made three saves to preserve the scoreless tie.
• The second quarter was offensively challenged as both teams managed to record one shot as the teams headed to the break scoreless.
• York came out on fire in the third quarter as they pepper Andriani with six shots but the Red Hawk was up to the challenge with five saves.
• The fourth quarter again saw the Spartans have their chances but again, couldn't find the back of the cage as the teams headed to extra time.
• In the first overtime, Montclair put together their first sustained offensive push as they forced Spartan keeper Sam Keating to record three of her four saves in the match as York did not notch a shot in the first extra frame.
• York was again on the offensive in the second overtime. The Spartans fired off seven shots, forcing Andriani to be busy as she was forced to make five saves. York had five corners in the period but came up empty as the teams headed to the shootout.
• In the shoot-out, both teams converted on the first attempt. Montclair went up 2-1 as they converted their second chance while York failed on theirs. Dana Meehling tied the shootout at 2-2 but York went dry on their final two chances while Maddie Freeman converted Montclair's final chance to win the shootout 3-2.
Dana Meehling: 9 shots, 4 shots on goal
Kristin Varilla: 2 shots on goal
Hannah Huffman: 2 shots on goal
Red Hawk Leaders
Kelly Watson: 3 shots on goal
Maddie Freeman: 1 shot on goal, converted GW Shootout Goal
Kellie Vizzuso: 1 shot
Sam Keating (YCP): 80:00 minutes played, 0 goals allowed, 4 saves (Loss, 2-1)
Nicole Andriani (MSU): 80:00 minutes played, 0 goals allowed, 14 saves (Win, 7-3)
The Red Hawks are now 2-0 against the Spartans as the won the first meeting between the two programs 3-2 in overtime on October 22, 2016 at Montclair … … the Spartans are now 0-3 in overtime and 0-1 in shoot-outs … the Spartans were shutout for the first time this year while it will go down as their second shutout of the year … senior goalie Sam Keating has now allowed just one goal in her last three starts … Keating has notched a save percentage of .870 in her 215 minutes in cage for the Spartans as she boasts a goals against average of 0.84.
The Spartans return home after their three-game road trip to host Elizabethtown in a non-conference contest on Wednesday night. The match is slated for a 6:00 pm start at Kinsley Field.