YORK, PA – The York College field hockey squad ran out of gas and fell to #10 Franklin & Marshall 3-2 in the final home game of the regular season on Tuesday night.
Final Score: York 2 – #10 F&M 3
Records: York 9-7, F&M 14-2
Shots: York 14, F&M 8
Shots on Goal: York 7, F&M 5
Penalty Corners: York 6, F&M 3
How It Happened:
• The Spartans got on the board first at the 7:56 mark in the first half as Dana Meehling recovered a loose ball on the left corner of the circle and was able to blast it through the Diplomat defense and into the back of the net giving York an early 1-0 advantage.
• F&M did not wait long to respond as they broke free on the offensive end and were able to draw a penalty stroke and Caitlin Morrissey just squeaked it passed the diving Spartan keeper to tie the game up 1-1 only 61 seconds after the Spartan goal.
• Greta Plappert continued her goal-scoring outburst as she received a pass from Julea Truskey on a Spartan penalty corner and shot one from the top of the circle that just found its way through a sea of players and ended up in the goal giving York a 2-1 lead late in the first period.
• The Diplomats again answered quickly, this time 68 seconds later, as a loose ball in front was battled for and F&M leading scorer Erin Coverdale was able to get the ball just for a second and shot it into the corner of the net making the score 2-2 at the half.
• The first half of the second period was mainly a battle for possession in the midfield until the Diplomats finally got loose and Erin Coverdale drove down the right side of the field and played a cross right on the stick of Lily Mynott who just tapped the ball into the open net to put York in a 3-2 hole with 17 minutes left in regulation.
• The Spartans had one final offensive flurry before they ran out of gas and the Diplomats were able to keep possession and stall out the final five minutes and change to top York 3-2.
Greta Plappert: 1 goal, 4 shots on goal, 6 shots
Dana Meehling: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 1 shot
Julea Truskey: 1 assist
Erin Coverdale: 1 goal, 1 assist, 3 shots on goal, 3 shots
Caitlin Morrissey: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 2 shots
Lily Mynott: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 2 shots
Sam Keating (YCP): 70 minutes, 3 goals against, 2 saves (Loss, 9-7)
Ilianna Santangelo (F&M): 70 minutes, 2 goals against, 5 saves (Win, 14-2)
York is now 10-25 all-time against the Diplomats … this was the second consecutive loss at the hands of Franklin & Marshall … Greta Plappert picked up right where she left off last week as she scored her sixth goal in the last three games and now has a team-high 14 goals, good for second-most in the CAC ... Plappert also leads the Spartans with 33 points, which is also second-highest in the conference … Dana Meehling continued to roll offensively for York as she scored in her fourth straight contest and now has eight goals on the season … Julea Truskey continued to be a weapon for the Spartans on penalty corners as she picked up her sixth assist on a penalty corner in the first half … Truskey now leads the Spartans in helpers and is also in second for most assists in the conference … the Spartans end their home regular season at 5-5 with four of the losses coming in one-goal games and also four of those home losses coming against top-10 ranked opponents … York is guaranteed a home playoff game as the CAC tournament begins Sunday, however the Spartans could earn a first-round bye with a Christopher Newport loss to Salisbury on Wednesday.
The Spartans stay in York as they close out their regular season with a CAC matchup against Frostburg State on Thursday. Game time scheduled for 6:00 pm at Kinsley Field.