FREDERICKSBURG, VA – The Spartan field hockey squad picked up a key CAC road win 4-3 while Greta Plappert recorded a hat trick against the Mary Washington Eagles on a windy Saturday afternoon.
Final Score: York 4 – UMW 3
Records: York 9-6, (3-1), UMW 9-6, (1-4)
Shots: York 28 UMW 11
Shots on Goal: York 18, UMW 7
Penalty Corners: York 14, UMW 6
How It Happened:
• York got on the board first when the Spartans scored off a penalty corner from Julea Truskey to the top of the circle to Greta Plappert who rocketed the shot home from deep to give the Spartans an early 1-0 lead just 9:44 into regulation.
• The Eagles answered back less than three minutes later as Izzy Scholz was able to beat the Spartan defense and blast a shot passed the keeper to tie it up 1-1.
• Mary Washington added another goal before the end of the half as Lauren Hopkins was on the receiving end of a Lexie Dixson pass and was able to find the back of the net to give the Eagles a 2-1 lead headed into the halftime break.
• Greta Plappert was not done her scoring outburst as she completed the hat trick with an unassisted goal as she beat the Eagle defense to give York a 3-2 lead at the 56:49 mark of the second period.
• With 7:34 remaining in the half, Lauren Hopkins fed Gillian Ross deep in York territory who was able to find the back of the net to grab the equalizer and make it a 3-3 contest.
• York was able to draw a penalty stroke with just over five minutes left in regulation and Dana Meehling fired the shot passed the keeper securing a 4-3 win for the Spartans.
Greta Plappert: 3 goals, 7 shots on goal, 11 shots
Dana Meehling: 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 shots on goal, 3 shots
Julea Truskey: 1 assist
Lindsay Nye: 3 shots on goal, 4 shots
Lauren Hopkins: 1 goal, assist, 3 shots on goal, 4 shots
Izzy Scholz: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal, 3 shots
Gillian Ross: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 1 shot
Lexie Dixson: 1 assist, 2 shots
Sam Keating(YCP): 70 minutes, 3 goals against, 4 saves (Win, 9-6)
Jessica Cavolt (UMW): 70 minutes, 4 goals against, 13 saves (Loss, 9-5)
York is now 7-34 all-time against the Eagles … this is the second straight win for the Spartans over Mary Washington … Greta Plappert recorded her first hat trick of the season and the second of her career in the win … she now has 13 goals on the season which leads the team and is tied for second-most in the CAC … Plappert now has seven goals in the last four games … sophomore Dana Meehling stayed hot on offense with three points on a goal and an assist and has tallied a goal in three consecutive games … the 28 shots are a season-high for the York offense this year … the Spartans are now 6-1 in their last seven games … York is now 4-2 on the road this season.
The Spartans return for their home finale as they host the #10 Franklin & Marshall Diplomats on Tuesday. Game scheduled to start at 6:00 pm at Kinsley Field.