DOVER, DE. – The York College baseball team escaped with a 7-5 victory over a struggling Wesley College team. Jack Barry led the way for the Spartans going 3-for-3 with a homer and 3 RBI.
York (Pa.): 17-5
Score: York 7, Wesley 5
Hits: York 10, Wesley 12
Errors: York 3, Wesley 0
Left on Base: York 13, Wesley 11
Doubles: York 5, Wesley 1
Triples: York 0, Wesley 0
Homeruns: York 1, Wesley 0
York Offensive Leaders
Jack Barry: 3-for-3, 3 RBI, 1 run scored, HR, 2 2B, 2 BB
Brandon White: 2-for-4, 3 RBI, 1 run scored, 2B
Grant Oberholtzer: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, 2B, SB, BB
Wesley Offensive Leaders
William Foster: 3-for-5, RBI, 2B
Jordan Marucci: 2-for-4, 1 run scored
William Musser: 1-for-4, 2 RBI, BB
Josh Mann: 6.1 innings pitched, 10 hits, 5 runs, 2 earned, 4 K (W, 4-0)
Rory Costello: 1.2 innings pitched, 2 K
Conor Miller: 1.0 innings pitched, 2 hits, BB, (Save, 3)
Joey Strazza: 5.1 innings pitched, 8 hits, 5 runs, 5 earned, 3 BB, K (L, 0-7)
Colin Haywood: 3.0 innings pitched, 2 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned, 6 BB, K
David Whitlock: 0.2 innings pitched, K
How It Happened
• York got on the board in the first inning after Austin Denlinger doubled and Jack Barry launched a two-run homer to left center field to grab an early lead. A Jimmy Wiegers single would drive in Brandon White and the Spartans led 3-0 after the first inning.
• The Wolverines would get a pair of runs back in the bottom of the second inning. Wesley would take advantage of a Spartan error scoring on a groundout and a single by Dustin Sutton to pull Wesley to within one afer two innings.
• After a pair of scoreless frames, Wesley would tie the game in the bottom of the fifth taking advantage of yet another Spartan miscue in the field. After John Joines would reach on the error, he would come in to score on a William Foster single to tie the score up 3-3 after five innings.
• The Spartans responded in the top of the sixth scoring three runs on just two hits. York walked three times in the inning including a bases-loaded walk to Barry to bring in the go-ahead run. Two more Spartans would score on a double by White as the Spartans led 6-3.
• The Wolverines would not go away and would answer with two more runs in the bottom of the seventh to pull within one run again. Both runs came in to score on a William Musser single to center as the Spartan lead was just 6-5 after seven innings.
• A sacrifice fly by White in the top of the eighth would bring in Grant Oberholtzer for some much-needed insurance. Wesley would load the bases would just one out in the ninth inning but Conor Miller would get back-to-back foul ball pop-outs to close the door and seal the 7-5 win.
The Spartans are now 22-20 all-time against the Wolverines … York has won the last two meetings between Wesley … the Spartan hitters walked 10 times which was just the second time all year they totaled double-digit walks, the other coming against Eastern when they walked 15 times back on March 7 … this was just the eighth time the Spartans have been outhit this year and they are 5-3 in those games … when the Spartans score first they are now 13-2 and when they score in the first inning York is 9-2 … Jack Barry has been scorching at the plate in his last seven games hitting .577 (15-for-26) with four doubles, two home runs, and 11 RBI … Brandon White now has 34 RBI on the year which puts him fifth-most in the CAC … the Spartans are now 5-3 on the road this year.
The Spartans will remain on the road as they travel to start a three-game CAC series with the Salisbury University Sea Gulls. The Spartans trail the Sea Gulls by 0.5 games for second place in the conference. First pitched of game one scheduled for 3:45 pm on Friday in Salisbury, Maryland.