MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – The York College baseball team bounced back after an opening day loss with a 14-1 thrashing of Lehman College on Tuesday afternoon in Myrtle Beach.
York (Pa.): 1-1
Lehman College: 2-7
Score: York 14, Lehman 1
Hits: York 19, Lehman 6
Errors: York 1, Lehman 3
Left on Base: York 10, Lehman 8
Doubles: York 2, Lehman 1
Triples: York 1, Lehman 0
Homeruns: York 0, Lehman 0
How It Happened:
• York came out of the gates hot striking for four runs in the first inning taking advantage of a pair of errors by Lehman. The first two scores came via sacrifice flies from Brandon White and Jack Barry. After a Rob Acierno single, Garrett Southern brought him in the next batter with a double to right center. Southern would eventually come around to score after a wild pitch and an error to give York the early 4-0 lead.
• The Spartans would add a pair of runs in the third inning after three straight singles from Luke Turner, Jimmy Wiegers, and Sal D'Onofrio. York would take a 6-0 advantage after three innings as Bobby Kuehn continued to shutout the Lehman hitters.
• In the fourth, Austin Denlinger led off the frame with a double to center field and came around to score on a single from White. York would add another run after a pair of walks and a Turner single to right field.
• The Spartans struck again in the fifth inning for two more as D'Onofrio led the inning off with a single up the middle and scoring on a Denlinger triple down the left field line. Denlinger would come in to score on a sac fly off the bat of White.
• The final punch from the Spartans came in the sixth when they put a four-spot on the board on three hits and three walks. Lehman would add a run in the eighth inning to break the shutout but York would cruise to a 14-1 bounce-back victory.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Austin Denlinger: 3-for-5, 2 RBI, 3 runs scored, 2B, 3B
Rob Acierno: 3-for-4, 4 runs scored, 2 BB
Brandon White: 2-for-3, 5 RBI
Jimmy Wiegers: 3-for-5, 1 run scored
Lehman College Offensive Leaders
Christopher Delgado: 2-for-4, RBI
Michael Zerbo: 1-for-3, 2B, BB
Geraldo Rodriguez: 1-for-4, 1 run scored
Bobby Kuehn: 8.0 innings pitched, 6 hits, 1 run (unearned), 2 BB, 9 K (W, 1-0)
Tim Halasnik: 1.0 innings pitched, 2 BB, 1 K
Lehman College Pitching
Rich Frommelt: 3.2 innings pitched, 10 hits, 8 runs, 4 earned, 2 BB, 2 K (L, 0-3)
Jarret Oehler: 2.1 innings pitched, 7 hits, 6 runs, 2 earned, 3 BB, 1 K
Christopher Delgado: 3.0 innings pitched, 2 hits, 2 BB, 1 K
Notes: The Spartans are now 5-3 in game two's under head coach Mike Scappa … York is now 2-0 against Lehman college all-time with the only other meeting coming in a 9-6 victory on March 3, 2017 in Myrtle Beach … the York offense came alive after they put up 19 hits after just managing six in their opening day loss … senior Bobby Kuehn threw a career high 8 innings with no earned runs in the win, he also struck out a career high nine batters … freshman Austin Denlinger added three more hits giving him five in his first 2 collegiate games with three extra-base hits … Brandon White knocked in five runners in the win and is the team leader with those five RBI … Rob Acierno set a new career high scoring four runs for the Spartans.
The Spartans return to action tomorrow afternoon as they take on John Jay. First pitch is slated for 3:00 pm.