YORK, PA – The Spartan women's soccer team dropped a home conference match to St. Mary's (Md.) 2-1 on a crisp Wednesday evening.
Final Score: York 1 – SMC 2
Records: York 6-9, (2-3), SMC 7-8-1, (2-2-1)
Shots: York 28, SMC 10
Shots on Goal: York 4, SMC 11
Corner Kicks: York 6, SMC 3
Saves: York 2, SMC 10
How It Happened:
• The Seahawks scored 6:03 into the first half off a cross fromJenna Pastel that found the foot of Haley David who got just enough of the ball to have it trickle passed the Spartan defense and keeper and bounce just inside the right post to give St. Mary's an early 1-0 lead.
• York generated offense with 13 shots and six on goal for the remainder of the first period but were unable to find the back of the net as the score remained 1-0 in favor of the Seahawks into the halftime break.
• Jenna Pastel was on the scoring end of the second goal for the Seahawks as she received a through-ball from Lauren Giron and was able to outrun the Spartan defense and place the ball in the far-right corner to extend the St. Mary's lead to 2-0.
• The Spartan offense got one back in the 76th minute of play on a Caitlin Rankin corner that found the foot of Victoria Niller who kept the play alive and passed off to Jenna Cholowinski who was able to beat the Seahawk keeper and cut the lead in half to 2-1.
• The Seahawk defense held strong for the final 14 minutes of the match and help the Spartans out of the net giving St. Mary's the 2-1 victory.
Jenna Cholowinski: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal, 6 shots
Caitlin Rankin: 1 assist, 2 shots on goal, 4 shots
Victoria Niller: 1 assist
Jenna Pastel: 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 shots on goal, 3 shots
Haley David: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 1 shot
Lauren Giron: 1 assist, 1 shot
Jess Wieber (YCP): 90 minutes played, 2 goals against, 2 saves (Loss, 1-3)
Katie Flores (SMC): 90 minutes played, 1 goal against, 10 saves (Win, 4-7-1)
York is 9-15-3 all-time against the Seahawks … the loss is the second consecutive defeat against St. Mary's … freshman Jenna Cholowinski scored her first career in the loss … senior Caitlin Rankin added another assist in the loss keeping her in a tie for most in the CAC with eight … Victoria Niller also recorded an assist, her second on the season … the 28 total shots are tied for the most on the season when they had 28 against Southern Virginia … the Spartans are now 4-4 at home this season.
The Spartans will stay in York as they prepare to take on the Frostburg State Bobcats in another CAC matchup on Saturday. Kick off scheduled for 12:00 pm at Graham Field.