YORK, PA. – The York College women's soccer team fell to Gettysburg College 2-0 in the Spartan home opener at Graham Field on Wednesday in non-conference action. York equaled the Bullets total of 11 shots, but was unable to find the back of the net.
Records: York 0-4, Gettysburg 2-1-1
Shots: York 11, Gettysburg 11
Shots on goal: York 2, Gettysburg 7
Corner kicks: York 4, Gettysburg 1
Saves: York 5, Gettysburg 2
Fouls: York 10, Gettysburg 10
How It Happened
• The game started slow, with neither team recording a single shot until the 10th minute, a shot from Amanda Healy that was blocked. Gettysburg's first opportunity came in the 13th minute, but Jess Wieber was up to the challenge, diving to her left to corral it.
• In the 23rd minute, the Bullets broke the scoreless tie when Samantha Esposito won the ball and then dribbled past Wieber before slotting the ball home.
• The Spartans earned another chance in the 29th minute, setting up Ryan Hussey for an attempt, but a lunging Bullet defender prohibited the ball from forcing a save.
• At the break, both teams had launched five shots, but Gettysburg held the 1-0 lead as York couldn't manage to hit the frame.
• Gettysburg doubled their lead in the 54th minute when a shot from long range blasted off the crossbar, landing at the feet of Esposito, who finished off her second goal of the game.
• Georgia Gillcrist's header in the 80th minute was saved, but the Spartans continued knocking on the door. A couple of late chances were not enough, as York's offensive woes continue on Wednesday, falling 2-0.
Caitlin Rankin: 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
Georgia Gillcrist: 1 shot on goal
Samantha Esposito: 2 goals, 3 shots, 3 shots on goal
Lauren Miesemer: 1 assist, 5 shots, 1 shot on goal
Jess Wieber (York): 45 minutes played, 1 goal against, 2 saves (L, 0-4)
Sydney Kahn (York): 45 minutes played, 1 goal against, 3 saves
Kerry Sammon (Gettysburg): 90 minutes played, 0 goals against, 2 saves (W, 2-1-1)
York falls to 3-7-2 all-time against the Bullets … the Spartans have lost the last seven meetings with Gettysburg … York is in a scoring drought, netting just one goal in their four games to open the season … Caitlin Rankin added another shot on goal, her second, to lead the team for the season … Jess Wieber and Sydney Kahn have combined to post a .706 save percentage in net for the Spartans.
The Spartans travel to Washington & Lee on Saturday. York is 0-1 all-time against the Generals, having lost 3-0 at home a year ago. Kick off is slated for 3:00 p.m.