YORK, PA – The #13 York College wrestling squad celebrated senior night with a dual meet victory over the Johns Hopkins Blue Jays 29-12 in non-conference action on Friday evening in York, PA.
The win pushes the York record to 9-3 as they have now won five of their past six matches. The victory comes off a third-place finish at the extremely competitive Budd Whitehill Duals last weekend.
Top Spartan Performers
• 125 pounds: Senior Dylan Nuttall got off to quick 6-0 start after the first period and widened that margin to 14-1 after two. He grabbed the final two points to start the evening off with a tech fall winning 16-1.
• 141 pounds: A very even match resulted in a scoreless first period and a 1-0 lead for freshman Blake Shalbert after the second period. Mauriello tied it up with 16 seconds left in third period but Shalbert pulled off a 2-1 win with riding time giving York an 8-5 lead.
• 149 pounds: Senior Greg Warner jumped all over Joe Paul putting up 10 points in the first minute of the match, followed that up with 2 more points to take the 16-0 tech fall in dominating fashion giving the Spartans a 13-5 team lead.
• 165 pounds: In another even matchup, sophomore Jesse Rocco rode a first period that netted him a 2-1 lead to capture a 3-2 win and extend the Spartan lead to 16-9.
• 174 pounds: Senior Joe Sindoni jumped out to an early 4-1 lead after the first period before Wertheimer grabbed four quick points towards the end of the second period to send the match to the third period with Sindoni holding on to a 6-5 lead. A stall violation sent the match into overtime at 6-6 where Sindoni recorded a pin at the 7:13 mark to balloon the Spartan lead to 22-9.
• 197 pounds: Senior Jesse Huber notched a trio of takedowns in the first period to jump out to an early 6-2 lead. Huber stayed in control and cruised to a 14-4 victory giving the Spartans a 26-12 advantage.
• Heavyweight: Junior Thomas Tabatneck jumped out to a 4-1 lead after the first three minutes with a pair of takedowns. Tobatneck rode the early lead to a 4-2 win to give the Spartans a 29-12 victory over the Blue Jays.
Dylan Nuttall picked up his sixth victory of the year and his third tech fall on the season …Blake Shalbert grabbed his ninth victory of his young Spartan career … Greg Warner notched his 21st win and 7th tech fall on the season and now has 118 career victories … Jesse Rocco continued his steady wrestling picking up his 11th in on the year for the Green and White … Joe Sindoni used his fourth pin on the year to improve his record to 12-1 on the year … Jesse Huber picked up his 16th win on the season and now boasts a stellar 16-4 record in his final campaign … Thomas Tabatneck picked up win number seven as the heavyweight wrestler for the Spartans … York as a team notched two tech falls and a pin in the victory.
The Spartans will host a quad meet next Saturday when they host Penn College, Penn State Mont-Alto, and Southern Virginia. First match for the Spartans is scheduled for 12:00 pm against Penn College.