YORK, PA – The York College Spartans women's lacrosse squad ended their 2018 regular season with a 15-5 win over Marymount University in Capital Athletic Conference action on Wednesday night at Kinsley Field.
The Spartans head into the Capital Athletic Conference tournament riding a nine game win streak. The nine game streak is one win short of tying a school record which was set last spring.
Records: #5 York 13-3 (7-1 CAC), Marymount 9-8 (3-5 CAC)
Final Score: York 15, Marymount 5
Shots: York 40, Marymount 20
Shots on Goal: York 31, Marymount 14
Ground Balls: York 21, Marymount 13
Draw Controls: York 18, Marymount 4
Free Position Shots: York 3-for-12, Marymount 3-for-5
Saves: York 9, Marymount 16
Fouls: York 16, Marymount 16
Turnovers: York 13, Marymount 12
How It Happened
• The Spartans wasted little time in getting on the board as Kayleigh Phillips earned the opening draw and Devin Hursey found the back of the net just 21 second into the game, giving York the very early lead. York made it 2-0 40 seconds later as Meghan Fox notched her 43rd goal of the year off a pass from Hayley McCormick as the Spartans were off and running.
• The Spartan lead grew to 3-0 as Phillips got a pass from Hursey for Phillips' 17th goal of the campaign. Phillips struck again on a free position goal 1:49 later as the Spartans continued to click on the offensive end.
• Fox recorded an unassisted goal with 21:29 left in the opening half. Fox picked up a ground ball off a saved shot and finished off the chance for the goal. Caitlin Rankin pushed the lead to 6-0 on a feed from sophomore Regan Cook. Phillips recorded her third goal of the opening half as she again teamed up with Hursey for the goal.
• The Saints broke up the shutout as Eliana Cassel finished off a free position shot at the 6:52 mark. Rankin won the ensuing draw control and raced down the wing and finished off a harsh angle shot nine second later to answer the Saints goal as York led 8-1. Rankin added a second consecutive goal as she cut down the middle and was fed by a nifty pass from McCormick, finishing off the chance in front of the Marymount goal with 3:04 left in the opening half. Freshman Madison Marciniak made it 10-1 as she made a hard cut to the cage and finished off a pass from Rankin for her eighth goal of the year.
• The Spartans dominated the first half statistics as they outshot the Saints 26-9 including 21-6 in shots on goal. York could have had a much bigger lead but the Spartans were 1-for-7 in free position opportunities.
• The York offense continued to roll to start the second. York tallied four goals in the opening ten minutes of the half as Baleigh Bradley, Juliana Greco, Marciniak and Amanda Tufano found the back of the net. Tufano's goal was a man up goal after a Marymount yellow card.
• Marymount's Abby Wescott stopped the seven-goal Spartan run with an unassisted tally with 18:42 left in the game. Kellen Cannon tallied the Saints' third goal of the game with 9:07 remaining in regulation. Jessica Crew notched back-to-back goals late in the game to cut the Spartan lead to nine.
• Cook closed out the scoring with her 32nd goal of the year with 2:02 left, providing for the final 10 goal margin of victory.
Caitlin Rankin: 3 goals, 1 assist, 2 ground balls, 4 draw controls
Kayleigh Phillips: 3 goals, 1-for-1 FPS, 3 draw controls, 1 ground ball
Meghan Fox: 2 goals, 1 ground ball
Devin Hursey: 1 goal, 2 assists, 1 ground ball
Madison Marciniak: 2 goals, 1 ground ball
Alexis Hart: 6 draw controls, 1 caused turnover
Alyssa Rankin: 3 ground balls, 3 caused turnovers
Jessica Crew: 2 goals, 3 ground balls, 1-for-1 FPS, 1 caused turnover
Abby Wescott: 1 goal, 1 assist
Liah Agouras: 2 ground balls, 1 draw control
Charlotte Wright (YCP): 30:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 5 saves (Win, 13-3)
Abby Smith (YCP): 30:00 minutes played, 4 goals assist, 4 saves
Holly Reik (MU): 60:00 minutes played, 15 goals against, 16 saves (Loss, 8-8)
York is now 12-1 against Marymount all-time as the Spartans have won 12 straight against the Saints … tonight's game was the final for the Spartans and the Saints as CAC opponents … the Saints are leaving the CAC for the American Collegiate Athletic Association … the Spartans enter the 2018 CAC Tournament as the second seed … York has been a second seed four other years … senior goalie Charlotte Wright now has 13 wins for the season as she is tied for third on the all-time single season list for goalie wins … Wright already owns the school record for season wins with 16 … Wright owns the career record for wins as she is 42-11 as a Spartan … Wright passed Ashley Smith for second on the all-time saves list as she now has 280 saves for her career … York converted just 3-of-12 free position shots, one of their worst percentages of the year … York dominated the draw as York won 18 of the 22 draw controls in the game … the Spartans have accumulated double figures in draw controls in 13 of their 16 games and York has had 10 games of 15 or more draw controls.
The Spartans begin their journey through the post season on Wednesday, May 2 when they host the winner of the winner of the Mary Washington/Marymount first round game. That first round game will be held on Saturday, April 28 in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Game time for Wednesday's semifinal contest will be determined on Monday, April 30.