YORK, PA – The seventh ranked York College women's lacrosse squad extended their win streak to seven with a 14-12 win over #2 Gettysburg in a non-conference contest on Friday afternoon in York. Sophomore Meghan Fox tallied five goals to lead the Green and White as her final goal gave was her 100th career point.
The win is the Spartans' fourth over a top ten team this season and it is also their second win over a top three team during 2018.
Records: #7 York 11-3, #2 Gettysburg 11-2
Final Score: York 14, Gettysburg 12
Shots: York 32, Gettysburg 32
Shots on Goal: York 23, Gettysburg 23
Ground Balls: York 19, Gettysburg 16
Draw Controls: York 13, Gettysburg 15
Clears: York 21-for-22, Gettysburg 19-for-21
Saves: York 11, Gettysburg 9
Turnovers: York 12, Gettysburg 12
Free Position Shots: York 2-for-4, Gettysburg 3-for-8
How It Happened:
• The game started off rocky offensively for both squads. The game was scoreless after ten minutes of play as York had four turnovers while Gettysburg had three miscues during that stretch of the game.
• The Bullets struck first with goals from Courtney Patterson and Steph Colson just 47 seconds apart. The Spartans' Meghan Fox tied the game with back-to-back goals, kick starting a six goal York run that covered just over ten minutes of game time. Devin Hursey, Fox for a third time, and Caitlin Rankin (twice) scored during the spurt.
• Colson notched back-to-back goals, cutting the Spartan lead to 6-4 with 4:39 left in the half. Fox tallied her fourth goal of the game, pushing York's lead to 7-4. Colson answered with her fourth goal of the game with 2:51 left in the half. The Spartans' Regan Cook closed out the first half scoring with a goal with 54 seconds remaining in the stanza as York took an 8-5 lead to the break.
• The Bullets opened the second half scoring with goals from Katie Landry and Lauren Cole, cutting York's lead to 8-7 less than four minutes into the second half. Cook answered with back-to-back goals of her own, pushing York's lead back to three with 24:07 left in the game. The Bullets scored three of the next four goals as the Green and White led by just one goal with 17:52 left in the game.
• York ripped off three straight goals over the next four and a half minutes as the York lead grew to 14-10. The Bullets got the final two goals of the game but York was able to kill off the remainder of the game and earn the big non-conference win.
Meghan Fox: 5 goals, 8 shots on goal, 1 ground ball
Regan Cook: 4 goals, 1 assist, 1 ground ball
Caitlin Rankin: 3 goals, 3 shots on goal
Nicole Clauter: 4 ground balls, 3 draw controls, 1 caused turnover
Devin Hursey: 1 goal, 1 assist, 4 draw controls, 1 ground ball, 1 caused turnover
Kayleigh Phillips: 1 assist, 6 draw controls
Steph Colson: 5 goals, 3 ground balls, 6 draw controls, 3 caused turnovers
Courtney Patterson: 2 goals, 1 ground ball, 5 draw controls
Liza Barr: 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 ground ball
Katie Landry: 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 ground balls, 1 draw control, 1 caused turnover
Charlotte Wright (YCP): 60:00 minutes played, 12 goals against, 11 saves (Win, 11-3)
Bailey Pilder (GC): 50:04 minutes played, 11 goals against, 9 saves (Loss, 11-2)
Casey Cole (GC): 9:56 minutes played, 3 goals against, 0 saves
The Spartans snapped a two game losing streak to Gettysburg as they are now 2-4 all time against the Bullets … York is now 1-1 all-time at Kinsley Field against the Bullets … sophomore Meghan Fox tallied five goals as she now has an even 100 career points (79 goals and 21 assists) … Fox has scored at least one goal each game this year and now has eight games with multiple goals including four games with four goals or more including a career-high eight goals against Trinity … junior Nicole Clauter was named the IWLCA National Defensive Player of the Week after leading York to a pair of CAC wins last week … Clauter leads the Spartans with 32 ground balls, 79 draw controls and 20 caused turnovers …. Clauter's 79 draw controls ranks third on the all-time single season list … Clauter now has 183 draw controls, second on the career list behind Leah Schultz (264 draw controls) … York reached double figures against the Bullets and that's not an easy task as Gettysburg had not allowed a team to score double digits against them … Gettysburg entered the game having allowed just 4.5 goals per game in their previous 12 games … York has reached double figures in goals in 11 of their 14 games this season … the Spartans are averaging 14.5 goals per game … senior goalie Charlotte Wright recorded 11 saves and now has double figures in saves in five games … the Spartans were 2-for-4 in free position shots and York has converted 48-of-105 (45.7%) of their free position shots for the year … the Spartans now have four players with 25 goals or more as Fox has 40, Caitlin Rankin has 29, Regan Cook has 28 while Devin Hursey has 25 … York's three wins over top five teams include March 15 against #3 Trinity (16-15 in 2 OT), April 5 at #5 Mary Washington (9-7), and Friday against the Bullets … York also has a top ten win over Franklin & Marshall on February 28 (9-4).
The Spartans jump back into conference play on Saturday as they head to Buena Vista, Virginia to face Southern Virginia in a Capital Athletic Conference contest. First draw is set for 3:00 pm.