FREDERICKSBURG, VA – The ninth ranked York College women's lacrosse squad earned their third straight win as they picked up a tough 9-7 Capital Athletic Conference road win at the fifth ranked University of Mary Washington Eagles on Friday afternoon in Fredericksburg, Virginia.
Records: #9 York 7-3 (2-1 CAC), #5 Mary Washington 11-2 (4-1 CAC)
Final Score: York 9, UMW 7
Shots: York 27, UMW 30
Shots on Goal: York 17, UMW 20
Ground Balls: York 11, UMW 20
Draw Controls: York 13, UMW 5
Clears: York 18-for-18, UMW 18-for-20
Saves: York 13, UMW 8
Turnovers: York 15, UMW 9
Free Position Shots: York 5-for-10, UMW 0-for-4
How It Happened:
• The Eagles struck for a pair of goals early to seize the lead. Holly Hudson found the back of the next just 1:44 into the game. Paige Haskins followed with a goal of her own 37 seconds later as the Eagles won the draw and raced down and scored for the 2-0 lead. Hudson assisted on the goal.
• York got on the board with 21:54 left in the first as senior Melissa Meehling converted a free position opportunity for York's first goal. York tied the game just over nine minutes later as Devin Hursey notched a man-up goal on a free position shot with 12:48 left in the opening half.
• The Eagles recaptured the lead in the 2:43 later as Allison Davis notched an unassisted goal. The rest of the first half would be scoreless as the Eagles outshot the Spartans 18-10 and also held an 11-4 bulge in ground balls. Senior goalie Charlotte Wright made eight saves for the Spartans, keeping York in the game.
• The Spartans tied the game 2:22 into the second half as sophomore Hayley McCormick scored off a pass from Meehling, tying the game at three. Mary Washington retook the lead on a Savannah Boyd goal at the 25:56 mark but York again tied the game, this time on another Hursey free position shot. Hudson gave the Eagles their final lead of the game with 23:32 left in regulation.
• York responded by ripping off four straight goals to seize control of the game. The first three goals of the run were all man-advantage goals as the Eagles had a pair of yellow cards during the run. Hursey started the run with her third free position goal of the game, knotting the game at five with 20:16 left in the game. Meghan Fox gave the Spartans their first lead of the game with a free position goal. Regan Cook tallied the third straight man-up goal off a Baleigh Bradley pass with 17 minutes left in the game. Caitlin Rankin closed out the run with a goal 6:29 after Cook's to give York an 8-5 lead.
• The Eagles halted the Spartan run with a Hope Lockwood goal at the 8:32 mark but McCormick notched a huge insurance goal off a pass from Bradley with 5:16 left to push York's lead back to three. Davis closed out the scoring with a goal with 1:47 remaining but it wouldn't be enough as York earned the win.
Devin Hursey: 3 goals, 3-for-4 FPS, 1 caused turnover
Hayley McCormick: 2 goals, 1 ground ball
Baleigh Bradley: 2 assists
Melissa Meehling: 1 goal, 1 assist, 1-for-3 FPS
Kayleigh Phillips: 7 draw controls
Nicole Clauter: 3 draw controls, 1 caused turnover
Caitlin Rankin: 1 goal, 3 ground balls
Alexis Hart: 3 ground balls, 1 caused turnover
Holly Hudson: 2 goals, 2 assists, 1 caused turnover
Allison Davis: 2 goals, 1 ground ball, 3 draw controls
Paige Hoskins: 1 goal, 5 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers
Peyton Murray: 3 caused turnovers, 1 ground ball
Charlotte Wright (YCP): 60:00 minutes played, 7 goals against, 13 saves (Win, 7-3)
Hanna Asby (UMW): 55:54 minutes played, 7 goals against, 8 saves (Loss, 0-1)
Shannon Bremer (UMW): 4:06 minutes played, 2 goals against, 0 saves
The Spartans are now 9-9 all-time against the Eagles as they have won two straight in the series … York now has three wins over nationally ranked squads (Franklin & Marshall, Trinity, and Mary Washington) … York is now 3-2 on the road … York went 5-for-10 in free position chances in the game as they are now 42-for-83 (50.6%) in free position shots for the year … the five free position goals were the Spartans' third highest total of the year behind the nine FPG against Trinity and the eight in the win over Dickinson … sophomore Devin Hursey converted all three of her free position attempts for the game as she is now 10-for-16 for the year in free position attempts … York is 28-for-28 in the clear in the last two games … senior Charlotte Wright recorded a season-high 13 saves in the win, just one short of her career high set last May in the NCAA Tournament win over St. John Fisher … Wright now has 36 wins for her career as she continues to extend her school record for goalie victories … sophomore Meghan Fox now has 88 career points with 69 goals and 19 assists in her 30 career games for the Spartans … senior Melissa Meehling recorded her 19th career free position goal in the win as she is tied for fifth all-time in the category … Fox and Hursey are each tied for eighth with 16 career free position goals.
The Spartans return to action on Wednesday as they travel to St. Mary's College to face the Seahawks in a Capital Athletic Conference contest. First draw is set for 4:00 pm in St. Mary's City, Maryland.