YORK, PA –The York College women's lacrosse team celebrated a successful senior day as they downed Southern Virginia 17-1 in Capital Athletic Conference action on a cold and breezy Kinsley Field in York. The Spartans improve to 9-5 overall while they are now 4-3 in league play. The Knights fall to 7-8 overall and 0-6 in the conference.
How it happened:
• Saks assisted on York's second goal just under two minutes later as senior Brittany Noell one-timed Saks' pass for the 2-0 York lead.
• The Green and White made it 3-0 when Jordan Cassella scored her eighth goal of the year as she drove into the heart of the defense and beat the goal keeper low for the tally.
• The Knights got on the board at the 25:19 mark of the first half as Zoe Bradshaw recorded her 33rd goal of the year, cutting York's lead to 3-1.
• The Spartans finished the first half on a 10-0 run as the running clock began with over 11 minutes remaining in the first half.
• York outshot the Knights 25-3 in the first half while they also had a 12-3 margin in draw controls.
• The second half half saw the Spartans back off the gas petal as they ran extended offensive possessions, bleeding the running clock. York scored four goals over the final 30 minutes to provide for the final 17-1 margin of victory. York ended the game on a 14-0 run.
• York limited SVU to just one shot on goal in the second half as the Spartans maintained the majority of possession.
Allison Kolacy: 1 goal, 4 assists, 3 draw controls,
Brittany Noell: 3 goals
Megan Strauch: 6 draw controls, 2 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers
Alyssa Rankin: 2 goals, 1-for-1 on Free Position Shots
Carley VanLuit: 2 goals, 1 ground ball, 1 draw control
Skye Slater: 2 goals, 1 ground ball
Zoe Bradshaw: 1 goal, 1 caused turnover
Faythe Park: 2 ground balls
Rainey Whitworth: 1 ground ball, 2 draw controls
Rachel Donovan (YCP): 30:00, 0 saves, 1 goals against (Win, 6-4)
Abby Smith (YCP): 30:00, 1 save, 0 goals against
Melanie Lytle (SVU): 60:00, 7 saves, 17 goals against (Loss, 4-2)
The Spartans closed out their 2016 home schedule with their ninth win of the year … Prior to the game, York recognized their four seniors as Megan Strauch, Allison Kolacy, Brittany Noell, and Rachel Donovan were lauded for their success over the last four years … the foursome has combined to win 53 wins including 22 CAC wins over their four year careers … the seniors have been a part of three NCAA Tournament appearances and three CAC championship game appearances … York leads the all-time series against Southern Virginia 3-0 as they have outscored the Knights 51-8 all-time in the series … the game time temperature was 38 degrees with a real feel of 30 however the predicted snow did not materialize during the game … Strauch notched six draw control wins in the first half as York won 12 of the 15 first half draws … Southern Virginia was 2-for-7 in first half clears as the Spartans forced eight first-half SVU turnovers … The Knights finished the game just 5-of-12 on the clear … Junior defender Katie Owens scored her first career goal with just over seven minutes left in the game on a free position shot … In their four CAC wins for the year, York has outscored their four victims 59-11 while they have been outscored 24-15 in their three CAC losses … York had 12 different players score goals in the win while 13 different players scored a point … York finished the game with a 37-4 margin in total shots and a 16-4 margin in draw controls … York tied their season low with just six turnovers … the 16 draw controls ties a season best … York has now scored in double figures in five different games as they are now 5-0 in those games.
York concludes the regular season with a pair of challenging road contests. On Wednesday, York will head to Catholic University to face the Cardinals in a battle of former CAC rivals. First draw is scheduled for Wednesday night at 7:00 pm. York then closes out the regular season with a trip to #15 Christopher Newport on Saturday afternoon. That game is scheduled for a 1:00 pm start.
Senior photo courtesy of Joe Rodgers – Five Star Media