YORK, Pa. – The seventh-ranked Spartans suffered their second-straight loss this week to another top-20 nationally-ranked Capital Athletic Conference opponent as the dropped an 11-6 decision to No. 18 Mary Washington on Saturday at Kinsley Field.
Game Number: 12
Site: Kinsley Field – York, Pa.
Records: Mary Washington (11-2, 4-1 CAC) / York (7-5, 2-3 CAC)
Series: Mary Washington leads 9-7
How it happened:
- The Spartans looked strong early on as they put up a 2-0 lead less than seven minutes into the first half. Melissa Meehling put the first tally on the board and then Rachel Saks fed a pass across the crease to a waiting Allison Kolacy who finished from close range for the second tally.
- Then it was time for the Eagles to go to work and they did by racking up four-straight goals to take a 4-2 lead through the midway point of the first half. The Mary Washington big guns of Mackenzie Maguire and Holly Hudson both contributed on that run as Maguire tallied her 32nd goal and Hudson tallied her 31st of the season.
- The Spartans put a stop to the bleeding as Caitlin Rankin found the back of the net for her seventh goal of the season and then Saks tied the game 4-4 on the next Spartan possession.
- UMW regained the lead with 3:02 left in the first half, but York responded 16 seconds later as Megan Strauch buried her free-position shot in the back of the net to tie the game 5-5 going into halftime.
- The Eagles put the first tally on the board in the second half after a missed shot on York's end gave Mary Washington the ball back early in the half.
- After a free-position shot was saved on York's end, the Spartans rode the momentum and transitioned down the field for a goal to once again tie the score as Kolacy recorded her second goal of the game.
- The Eagles tallied back-to-back goals a minute apart right at the midway point of the second half to take an 8-6 lead with 14:49 left to play.
- The Spartans faced an uphill battle as they trailed by two goals. They failed to convert on two free-position shots and had another saved before Mary Washington tacked on another to extend the lead to three goals.
- Mary Washington scored again 1:10 later, which put the game on ice with 6:41 left. The Eagles then tacked on an insurance goal with 3:36 left to play.
Allison Kolacy – 2 points on 2 goals
Rachel Saks – 2 points on 1 goal and 1 assist
Megan Strauch – 5 caused turnovers, 4 ground balls
Kayleigh Phillips – 5 draw controls
Sabrina Elliot – 3 points on 3 goals
Kelsey Vincent – 3 points on 2 goals and 1 assist
Ashlyn Dacey – 3 points on 1 goal and 2 assists
Kirsten Littlefield – 3 caused turnovers, 3 ground balls, 3 draw controls
Hanna Ashby (UMW) – 60:00 min, 8 saves, 6 GA, 2 ground balls, Win (2-0)
Rachel Donovan (YCP) – 56:24 min, 1 save, 11 GA, Loss (4-4)
The loss today ends York's seven-game win streak against Mary Washington … the last time York lost back-to-back games was 2012 when the Spartans lost the CAC Championship game and their first round NCAA Tournament game … the last time York lost back-to-back CAC games and back-to-back regular season games was 2010 … York out-shot Mary Washington 13-7 in the second half, but the Eagles scored on six of those seven shots as the Spartans only managed one goal … the Eagles held a 6-2 advantage in draw controls in the second half after losing that battle 8-3 in the first half … Mary Washington's 11 goals today is the most given up by York's top-10 scoring defense (5.40 gpg) this season and the first double-digit goal total an opponent has scored against York this season.
York returns to action on Wednesday in a CAC matchup on the road at Frostburg State starting at 7:00 p.m.
Photo courtesy of Joe Rodgers