ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. – The No. 7 Spartans suffered their first regular season loss to a Capital Athletic Conference opponent not named Salisbury since 2011 with today's 5-4 defeat at No. 19 St. Mary's College.
Game Number: 11
Site: Seahawk Stadium – St. Mary's City, Md.
Records: St. Mary's (11-1, 2-1 CAC) / York (7-4, 2-2 CAC)
Series: St. Mary's leads 8-6
How it happened:
- York put the first goal of the game on the board as Claudia DiVenti finished after receiving a feed from Brittany Noell for a tally less than five minutes in.
- The Seahawks responded six minutes later as Erika Kropf converted on a free-position shot to tie the game 1-1.
- York got back on the board in the first half as Caitlin Rankin found the back of the net after getting a helper from Allison Kolacy.
- The Spartans were buzzing in the first half as they out-shot the Seahawks 13-4 with 10 of those shots landing on goal, but Seahawk goalie Kayla Dunn turned away eight of those shots.
- The momentum seemed to have shifted in York's favor after goals by Katherine Burk and Jordan Cassella put the Green and White ahead 4-1 midway through the second half.
- However, the Seahawks ripped off four unanswered goals and held on through the final 5:31 to seal the 5-4 upset victory.
Claudia DiVenti – 1 goal, 1 caused turnover, 2 ground balls
Caitlin Rankin – 1 goal, 1 caused turnover
Rachel Saks – 1 assist, 1 caused turnover, 1 ground ball
Katie Owens – 1 caused turnovers, 3 ground balls, 1 draw control
Nicole Clauter – 1 caused turnover, 2 ground balls
Megan Strauch – 1 ground ball, 2 draw controls
Erika Kropf – 3 points on 2 goals and 1 assist
Shelby Newman – 1 assist, 2 ground balls, 1 draw control
Kate Somerville – 4 caused turnovers, 3 ground balls, 1 draw control
Brynn Miller – 3 ground balls
Mackenzie Rayburn – 2 caused turnovers, 1 ground ball, 1 draw control
Kayla Dunn (SMC) – 60:00 min, 11 saves, 4 GA, 1 ground ball, Win (11-1)
Rachel Donovan (YCP) – 60:00 min, 8 saves, 5 GA, 1 ground ball, Loss (4-3)
The loss today ends York's six-game win streak against St. Mary's … York's loss today is the first regular season loss to a CAC opponent not named Salisbury since April 9, 2011 when the Spartans lost 12-10 at home against St. Mary's … since the loss to St. Mary's in 2011, York has won 28 straight regular season games against CAC opponents not named Salisbury … 2011 was also the last season the Spartans lost multiple CAC games … it's the just the third time a ranked York team has lost to a lower-ranked team in the IWLCA top-20 poll … St. Mary's is averaging 12.50 goals per game and York's top-10 scoring defense (5.40 gpg) held the Seahawks to their lowest goal total of the season … York was held to its lowest goal total of the season while making its highest number of saves of the season … the Spartans recorded their lowest number of draw controls with just three on the day.
York returns to action on Saturday in a CAC matchup at home against No. 18 Mary Washington starting at 1:00 p.m.
Photo courtesy of David Sinclair