ST. MARY'S CTY, MD – The York College women's basketball team dropped a heartbreaker in overtime after giving up the tying bucket with 35 seconds remaining. The Spartans fell to the Seahawks 81-78 on Saturday afternoon.
St. Mary's (Md.): 7-16, (3-9)
York (Pa.): 11-12, (6-6)
FG Shooting (%): York 28-for-64 (43.8%), SMC 31-for-69 (44.9%)
Three Point Shooting (%): York 9-for-27 (33.3%), SMC 6-for-16 (37.5%)
Free Throw Shooting (%): York 13-for-23 (56.5%), SMC 13-for-24 (54.2%)
Rebounding: York 37, SMC 49
Assists: York 18, SMC 15
Turnovers: York 14, SMC 19
Blocked Shots: York 3, SMC 2
Steals: York 15, SMC 6
• The first quarter was a back-and-forth battle as both teams traded baskets until a little 5-0 spurt by the Seahawks to take a 14-9 advantage after the first ten minutes. Logynn Fuller knocked down a pair of triples in the period to keep the Spartans close.
• The Spartans trailed 18-11 early in the second before going on a 7-0 run that included five free throws to tie the game up with 7:00 until halftime. They continued their run pushing it to a 16-2 run and pushed their lead out to 27-20 after three straight three-pointers with a pair from Debria Hendricks and another from Fuller. York held on to the lead and led 34-29 after an Alana Bortner three with just two ticks remaining.
• The third period was played tightly the whole way through with both teams scoring at will. Katie McGowan scored 11 of her game-high 22 points in the period including a pair of three-pointers. York held a 57-54 lead headed into the final period.
• The fourth quarter was close the whole way with the Seahawks getting back-to-back triples from Janey Mathisen and Kelli Jenkins to tie it up at 67-67 before another Kelli Jenkins three gave St. Mary's a 70-69 lead with 5:26 to play. Both teams clamped down on defense and York was held scoreless for the final 2:48 of regulation and a Gina Seifert layup with 35 seconds to play sent the game into overtime.
• Overtime was dominated by defense as the Spartans were held to 2-for-8 from the field. The Seahawks could not put the Spartans away as they struggled to hit their free throws down the stretch going 3-for-10 in overtime but ended up holding off the Spartans and stealing the win 81-78.
Katie McGowan: 22 points, 10 rebounds
Kayla Ferris: 15 points, 9 rebounds, 8 steals, 6 assists
Logynn Fuller: 13 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists
Debria Hendricks: 12 points, 5 assists, 3 steals, 3-for-6 3PT
Gina Seifert: 17 points, 15 rebounds, 6 assists
Janey Mathisen: 16 points, 3 rebounds
Kelli Jenkins: 15 points, 5-for-7 3PT
The Spartans are now 49-12 all time against the Seahawks and the loss snapped a 17-game winning streak over the Seahawks … the last loss to the Seahawks also came in St. Mary's in overtime when the Spartans fell 79-70 on December 8, 2010 … York struggled from the free throw line missing 10 which was their most misses in a game since January 23rdagainst Frostburg when they missed 12 … York's defense snatched 15 steals giving them five such games with at least 15 steals … the Spartans committed 24 fouls which is a new season-high for most fouls in a game … the York offense managed 78 points which ties a season-high that they had against Penn State Harrisburg on January 31st… Katie McGowan picked up her sixth double-double on the year and also had her third-straight game with at least 20 points as she poured in 22 more today … Kayla Ferris flirted with a triple-double after scoring her most points since she had 15 against Lebanon Valley on December 30thwhile also tying her career-high with 8 steals … Logynn Fuller has now knocked down at least three triples in five of her last six games … York has struggled away from home this year as they are now 4-7 with one road game remaining in the regular season.
The Spartans will travel to Frostburg State on Wednesday for their final road game of the regular season. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:00 pm in Frostburg, Md. against the Bobcats.