YORK, PA – The York College women's basketball team fell in a back-and-forth battle against the Elizabethtown College Blue Jays 71-61 in non-conference action on Wednesday evening.
York (Pa.): 2-4
FG Shooting (%): York 21-for-60 (35.0%), Elizabethtown 25-for-59 (42.4%)
Three Point Shooting (%): York 10-for-26 (38.5%), Elizabethtown 7-for-14 (50%)
Free Throw Shooting (%): York 9-for-21 (42.9%), Elizabethtown 14-for-23 (60.9%)
Rebounding: York 40, Elizabethtown 44
Assists: York 14, Elizabethtown 11
Turnovers: York 17, Elizabethtown 15
Blocked Shots: York 6, Elizabethtown 3
Steals: York 6, Elizabethtown 10
• Both teams came out firing but were unable to find the bottom of the net as each team shot just 35% from the field in the first quarter. The Spartans connected on three deep balls in the opening period to build an 18-15 advantage over the Blue Jays.
• The second quarter was all Elizabethtown as the clamped down on the defensive end and held the Spartans to only nine points in the period. York went cold from deep as they hoisted up four three-pointers but went empty on all four attempts. Molly Day led the Spartans 8 points and 6 rebounds as York trailed 32-27 at the intermission.
• The Spartan offense woke up in the third quarter putting up 19 points in the period including shooting 5-for-8 from three-point range. After giving up an early bucket, the Spartans went on a 8-0 run that included five points from Day and a three-ball by Kayla Ferris to give York a 35-34 lead. This was their first lead since 18-17 early in the second quarter.
• The teams went back-and-forth for the remainder of the third period and Alana Bortner came off the bench and hit two three-pointers in the final minutes of the quarter including one with just seconds remaining to tie the score at 46 going into the fourth.
• York grabbed an early three-point lead after a Katie McGowan layup but the Blue Jays answered with a 9-2 run to build a six-point advantage at 60-54 with 4:37 left to play after a Lydia Lawson deep three-pointer from the left wing. In the final 2:25 of regulation the Blue Jays took control of the game ending on an 11-5 run to down the Spartans 71-61.
Kayla Ferris: 16 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists
Molly Day: 13 points, 13 rebounds
Debria Hendricks: 6 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals
Alana Bortner: 8 points, 2-for-4 3PT
BLUE JAY LEADERS
Mikayla Ruth: 22 points, 5 rebounds, 2 blocks
Lydia Lawson: 14 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals
Veronica Christ: 14 points, 3 rebounds
The Spartans are now 3-2 all-time against the Blue Jays … the loss ends a three-game winning streak for the Spartans in the series … this was the first meeting between the two sides since January 3, 2013 when the Spartans came out on top 66-55 … the Spartans tied a season-high with 10 three-pointers made in back-to-back games … York has struggled to score as they have been held under 70 points in five of six games this season … the Spartans shot a season-low 42.9% from the free throw line … Molly Day set a career high with 13 rebounds as she recorded her first double-double of her career … Kayla Ferris continued to stay hot on the offensive end as she scored in double-figures for the fourth time this season and for the third consecutive game … Ferris went 4-for-5 from three and is now shooting 65.2% from beyond the arc at 15-for-23 on the year … Alana Bortner came off the bench and hit her first two three-pointers of her career and set a career-high with 8 points … the Spartans are now 1-3 at home on the young season.
The Spartans will be on the road in their next game as they will travel to Eastern University to take on the Eagles on Saturday afternoon. Tip-off scheduled for 1:00 pm in St. David's, Pennsylvania.