OWINGS MILLS, MD. – The York College softball team salvaged a split in a pair of one-run games against Stevenson on Thursday afternoon. The Spartans dropped game one 4-3 but used extra innings to bounce back and top the Mustangs 8-7 in nine innings.
York (Pa.): 8-6
Game One Stats
Runs: York 3 / Stevenson 4
Hits: York 6 / Stevenson 7
Errors: York 2 / Stevenson 0
Left on Base: York 1 / Stevenson 6
York Offensive Leaders
Elle Meyer: 2-for-3, 1 run scored, SB
Alyssa Harhigh: 1-for-3, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, HR
Joanna Marmo: 1-for-3, RBI
Shyla Pastore: 1-for-3, 1 run scored
Stevenson Offensive Leaders
Kayla Briles: 2-for-3, 2 runs scored, 3 SB
Erin Stephey: 2-for-3, RBI, 1 run scored, 2B
Morghan Fulton: 1-for-3, 2 RBI
Haley Lennon: 1-for-2, RBI, 1 run scored, 2B, SB
Taylor Lindsay: 5.0 innings pitched, 5 hits, 1 run, 1 earned run, BB, 4 K
Samantha Kiser: 1.0 innings pitched, 2 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned runs, BB, K (L, 1-3)
Morghan Fulton: 7.0 innings pitched, 6 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned runs, 4 K (W, 1-1)
How It Happened
• Both pitchers dominated early with a combined three hits through the first two and a half innings of play before Stevenson would finally break the scoreless tie in the bottom of the third inning. Kayla Briles reached on an infield single and advanced all the way to third base on a Spartan error with one out and would come into score on a Haley Lennon double in to the right-center gap. Taylor Lindsay would minimize the damage by limiting the Mustangs to just one run despite the Spartans committing a pair of errors in the inning as Lindsay stranded two Mustangs on the base paths.
• The Spartans would respond quickly in the top of the fourth as Elle Meyer reached on a bunt-single to lead off the inning and then stole second to get in scoring position. Alyssa Harhigh then stepped up to the plate and launched a homerun over the center field wall to give York a 2-1 lead.
• Stevenson would get both runs back in the bottom of the fifth when they scored three runs on just two hits. The Mustangs led off the inning with back-to-back hitters getting plunked and then both stealing bases to have runners on second and third with nobody out. Erin Stephey would come up clutch for the Mustangs and bring home one run on a single through the left side of the Spartan infield to tie the game. Meghan Fulton came up next at-bat and stroked a two-run single to center to give Stevenson the lead back and took a 4-2 lead into the sixth inning.
• York would get one run back in the top of the sixth after back-to-back singles by Shyla Pastore and Meyer to start off the frame. fJoanna Marmo would in Pastore with two outs on a single to center. The Spartans tried to tie the game up on the single but Harhigh was gunned down at the plate keeping the Mustangs up a run. York would go down in order in the top of the seventh and fell 4-3 to Stevenson in game one.
Game Two Stats
Runs: York 8 / Stevenson 7
Hits: York 9 / Stevenson 12
Errors: York 1 / Stevenson 3
Left on Base: York 7 / Stevenson 9
York Offensive Leaders
Shyla Pastore: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, 3 runs scored, HR, BB
Elle Meyer: 2-for-5, RBI, 1 run scored
Alyssa Harhigh: 2-for-5, RBI, SB
Mia Ruffalo: 1-for-3, RBI, 2 runs scored, 2B, BB
Stevenson Offensive Leaders
Erin Stephey: 2-for-5, 3 RBI, 1 run scored, HR, SB
Jessica Alicea: 2-for-4, RBI, SB
Meghan Fulton: 2-for-5, RBI, 2B
Haley Lennon: 2-for-5, 1 run scored
Hannah Vogt: 1.0 innings pitched, 1 hit, 1 run, 1 earned run, K
Taylor Lindsay: 3.1 innings pitched, 7 hits, 4 runs, 4 earned runs, BB, 2 K
Samantha Kiser: 3.2 innings pitched, 4 hits, 2 runs, 0 earned runs, K (W, 2-3)
Shyla Pastore: 1.0 innings pitched, K, (Save, 2)
Jillian Haines: 9.0 innings pitched, 9 hits, 8 runs, 3 earned runs, 3 BB, 4 K (L, 0-2)
How It Happened
• The Spartans got on the board in the first inning of game two without registering a hit. Shyla Pastore led off the game with a walk and would advance to third after there was a Mustang error on a ball off the bat of Alyssa Harhigh. Pastore would come in to score on a sacrifice bunt by Mia Ruffalo giving York the early 1-0 advantage.
• Stevenson would answer in the bottom of the second. After a hit-by-pitch and a walk to start off the inning, Jessica Alicea would knock a single to right field to bring in the tying run. Stevenson would strand a pair of runners on base as the game was tied 1-1 after two innings of play.
• York would add a run in the third and fourth inning off an RBI-single from Harhigh in the third inning and a Ruffalo double and then a sacrifice fly by Joanna Marmo that would push the York lead to 3-1. In the fifth inning, the Spartans would add two more runs on a two-run homer from Pastore as York doubled their lead and took a 5-1 advantage into the bottom of the fifth.
• Stevenson would answer in a big way in the bottom of the fifth scoring four runs in the frame to tie the game up 5-5. The Mustangs started the inning with four straight hits including a three-run blast off the bat of Erin Stephey. Alexandra Digrande would complete the four-run frame with a two-out RBI-single to right field. Both teams would be held scoreless the final two innings of regulation and the game moved to extras.
• In the eighth inning, the Spartans would get a run as Ruffalo started the frame at second base. She would come in to score on an Alexis Jury infield single to give York the lead. Stevenson would tie the game up in the bottom half of the inning on a Samantha Znamirowski two-out single to center field sending the game to a ninth inning.
• In the ninth, York would score two runs with two outs to grab an 8-6 lead. Elle Meyer brought in Julie Van O'Linda to grab the lead, and then Meyer came in on a Mustang error for a crucial insurance run as York led by two with just three outs to go. Stevenson would score one in the bottom of the ninth but Pastore got Erin Muir to groundout back to the circle to pick up the save and salvage a split with the 8-7 game two win.
The Spartans are now 32-4 all-time against Stevenson … York has now split four-straight doubleheaders … the Spartans hit their first home runs after a six-game homerless streak with their last home run coming on March 4 against Mitchell … freshman Alyssa Harhigh continues to stay hot offensively going a combined 3-for-8 with a homerun and 3 RBI in the doubleheader and is now boasting a 12-game hit streak … Harhigh also blasted her team-leading fifth home run in game one … Shyla Pastore hit her first career homerun in the game two win while also picking up her second save from the circle … the York defense has committed at least one error in every game this season … the Spartans are hitting .309 as a team while holding their opponents to a .251 batting average … York is now 5-1 when they hit at least one homerun.
The Spartans will stay on the road when they travel to take on Wilson College in a non-conference doubleheader on Sunday, March 17. First pitch is slated for 1:00 pm in Chambersburg, Pa.