MULLICA HILL, N.J. – The York College men's cross country squad put together a spectacular performance as they finished third of 28 teams at Saturday's Inter-Regional Border Battle hosted by Rowan University in Mullica Hill, New Jersey.
The Spartans totaled 132 points as they finished behind Haverford (29) and Carnegie Mellon (62). Rhodes finished fourth while Rowan rounded out the top five teams in the highly competitive invitational.
Top Spartan Performers
• York was paced by the senior duo of Alex Smith and Grant Dell as they finished 14th and 15th in the event. Smith registered a new PR with a time of 25:15.3 in the 8,000-meter race. Dell was very close behind as he also set a new PR with a time of 25:16.7 to earn the 15th place finish.
• Senior Andy MacGibbon was the third Spartan to cross the line as he earned a top 25 finish in the 260-runner field. MacGibbon, who also set a new PR, traversed the course in a time of 25:29.0. He was just six seconds back of a top 20 finish.
• Freshman Jake O'Neill was fantastic as he set a new freshman 8K record with his time of 25:41.0. He placed 39th with his time as he was just 10 seconds back of a 28th place finish.
• Junior Ben Linne was York's next finisher as he placed 41st with a time of 25:45.3.
• The Spartans had a number of runner achieve new PR's during the day. Charles Wood (27:20.7), Jordan Blankenship (26:54.4), Josh Sims (27:55.1), Jian Gentile (28:43.8) and Tucker Deacon (29:30.7) all set new personal bests in the event.
He Said It
"The men did a great job of stepping up to the competition this weekend," said Spartan head coach Stephen LoBianco. "After some arduous training over the last few weeks, we were able to translate our workouts to a race. The third place finish as a team is impressive considering the field has some impressive national caliber competition. We did a great job of changing our mentality from last weekend and it really paid off. We are in a good spot heading into the post season and will look to keep working towards our goals."
The Spartans return to action on Saturday, October 28 when they travel to Christopher Newport University to participate in the 2017 Capital Athletic Conference championships in Newport News, Virginia. The championships are slated for an 11:00 am start.